[SOLVED] Recently Changed Motherboard and enabling XMP won't boot Windows

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Guys,

I recently installed a new motherboard to replace my old one with a new CPU and after re-installing everything including the OS I checked in my task manager and it showed my RAM running at 2400 Mhz. So I went into the BIOS section and enabled XMP then saved and restarted. It is at that point the monitor didn't display the AORUS logo or even the screen to access the BIOS. At which point I proceeded to hold down the CMOS reset button and things went back to nominal. The thing is my old AORUS gaming 5 ran my T- Vulcan Ram at 3000 Mhz fine and yet this one just doesn't want to? Could use some help thanks.

Specs:
Motherboard: AORUS master Z590 Version F3
CPU: Intel I9-10900KF 3.70Ghz
GPU: Nvidia MSI 1660 Ti 6gb
Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000
PSU: Seasonic Prime Fanless 700 W 80+ Titanium
SSD: Samsung Evo 870 1TB

Last edited:
Solution
Check around in that bios for a bus switch. Should have 3 settings, auto/200/266. Put it on 200 for 3000 ram, or set xmp but change speed manually to 2933MHz and use 266.

3000MHz is an oddball speed, and many mobo's don't like to use it whether compatible or not. 3200MHz/2933MHz doesn't have those issues.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Check around in that bios for a bus switch. Should have 3 settings, auto/200/266. Put it on 200 for 3000 ram, or set xmp but change speed manually to 2933MHz and use 266.

3000MHz is an oddball speed, and many mobo's don't like to use it whether compatible or not. 3200MHz/2933MHz doesn't have those issues.

Solution

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014

Thanks for the advice I'll give it a shot, although could you perhaps give me a picture example of what the screen looks like if possible? Mainly cause I don't know what a bus switch is.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your bios is considerably different to mine, many labels are not the same. On my old Asus board which was Intel, it was under the same tab with the current settings, spread spectrum stuff. It'll be labeled pcie bus or cpu bus or something similar. If it's set for 266, just leave it there and set xmp but manually change the ram speed to 2933MHz. It's close enough to 3000 to make no difference, but 3000 is not divisible by 266, whereas 2933 is.

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
Your bios is considerably different to mine, many labels are not the same. On my old Asus board which was Intel, it was under the same tab with the current settings, spread spectrum stuff. It'll be labeled pcie bus or cpu bus or something similar. If it's set for 266, just leave it there and set xmp but manually change the ram speed to 2933MHz. It's close enough to 3000 to make no difference, but 3000 is not divisible by 266, whereas 2933 is.
In that case thanks for your guidance, much appreciated.

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
I've succeeded in changing the Mhz value as close to 3000 Mhz, while there wasn't 2933 listed the closest was 2900Mhz so overall things worked out fine. Thanks again for the help! Just one other small question if you know, but I set my fan mode to silent in the fan control section of the BIOS, but they get a tad bit noisy when the CPU is around 17% or more in use. Temp values are within nominal range too so I was wondering if this is normal. Thanks.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Silent mode changes the fan curve, same as performance does, but it's lower and takes a little longer to rise.

What you can do with modern bios is change the settings, since silent, standard, performance are generic presets, tailoring the curve, fan volume, temps for your pc. My curve starts climbing at 30°C with 23% duty cycle but only reaches 32% at 60°C, then sharp rise to 90% at 70°C. Gaming temps don't exceed 55°C, so it remains quiet the whole time, but if I do anything extensive, it gets somewhat loud, and I run Noctua fans.

So you'll need to decide what's good for you, but do take into consideration you have a 10900k, and thats a 10 core beast that when pushed can easily hit upwards of 200w heat output, @ 75%ish of the cooling capacity of your cooler.

So play around with your curves, figure out what's good and acceptable, you don't always need to have the lowest possible temps, under 70°C ish, the cpu simply doesn't care, only the user does.

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
Silent mode changes the fan curve, same as performance does, but it's lower and takes a little longer to rise.

What you can do with modern bios is change the settings, since silent, standard, performance are generic presets, tailoring the curve, fan volume, temps for your pc. My curve starts climbing at 30°C with 23% duty cycle but only reaches 32% at 60°C, then sharp rise to 90% at 70°C. Gaming temps don't exceed 55°C, so it remains quiet the whole time, but if I do anything extensive, it gets somewhat loud, and I run Noctua fans.

So you'll need to decide what's good for you, but do take into consideration you have a 10900k, and thats a 10 core beast that when pushed can easily hit upwards of 200w heat output, @ 75%ish of the cooling capacity of your cooler.

So play around with your curves, figure out what's good and acceptable, you don't always need to have the lowest possible temps, under 70°C ish, the cpu simply doesn't care, only the user does.
Thanks again for the advice, I'll keep it in mind~

TRENDING THREADS