[SOLVED] Recently changed to Bell fibre 1.5gbps and my PC is not getting those speeds

Hobo_On_Welfare

Reputable
Jan 4, 2017
Recently switched to Bell Fibre 1.5gbps and on the ookla speed test my computer is only getting around 550 mbps. My computer is hard wired to the bell home hub 3000 with a cat6 ethernet cable. The ethernet port on my motherboard is a gigabit LAN port capable of gigabit speeds so im not sure why I wouldnt be getting 1.5 gbps speed. A speed test on the router directly is saying that its getting 1.5gbps so it doesnt appear to be a problem on Bell's end. What can I do?

Solution
Recently switched to Bell Fibre 1.5gbps and on the ookla speed test my computer is only getting around 550 mbps. My computer is hard wired to the bell home hub 3000 with a cat6 ethernet cable. The ethernet port on my motherboard is a gigabit LAN port capable of gigabit speeds so im not sure why I wouldnt be getting 1.5 gbps speed. A speed test on the router directly is saying that its getting 1.5gbps so it doesnt appear to be a problem on Bell's end. What can I do?
The "1.5gb" speed that Bell fibe is based on "A wired connection and at least one additional wired or wireless connection are required to obtain total download speed. " The WIRED speed is 1Gb. --...

The Idiot

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2013
Is your duplexing set to auto? Check what you are using by following this guide. http://download.koncar-inem.hr/publ...vers/18_7_CD/PRO100/DOCS/DESKTOP/dupwindm.htm If you have a different cable try testing with that.

USAFRet

Titan
Well...with a gigabit port, you'd get 1gbps max. Not 1.5.

Seeing only 500, I would suspect the Cat6 cable is your issue.

Reactions: SamirD

Hobo_On_Welfare

Reputable
Jan 4, 2017

USAFRet

Titan
My speed was on auto negotiation but I set it to 1gbps full duplex and got the same speeds. I dont have another cable and the cable im using now is run through the wall. The cable is fairly new though and have had no issues with it.
Cable "fairly new" means little. a LOT of "Cat6" that is sold is NOT up to actual spec.

Also, every cable, connection. and device between your PC and the router has an impact.

And as said, since your LAN port is standard gigabit...that is the most you will get. You will not see 1.5gbps on that port.

kanewolf

Titan
The "1.5gb" speed that Bell fibe is based on "A wired connection and at least one additional wired or wireless connection are required to obtain total download speed. " The WIRED speed is 1Gb. -- https://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Products/Fibe-Internet-Gigabit15-FTTH footnote 1
Have you checked your Windows autotuning ? -- https://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/05/windows-10-limiting-internet-speed/

Solution
I dont have another cable and the cable im using now is run through the wall.
Sounds like the terminations and cables in the wall might be the limiting factor. Move your system to the router and connect directly to the router and see if that doesn't fix it.

If it doesn't, boot into a linux live cd/usb and speed test from there. If you get full speeds there, it's a windows issue.