[SOLVED] Recently I was given a old computer and I was wondering if any of parts can be used in a new built.

mpere805

Honorable
Feb 7, 2018
Upon looking inside I found the Following AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
Sapphire Radeon HD 5830 1GB GDDR 5
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 790GX
Kingsto ValueRam 4GB DDR3
WD caviar 750GB SATA HD
Corsair TX750 PS
LG DVD player
NZXT mid tower

Now if any of the parts are useable good I'll be able to save some money. If not could the system still be viable at the present time.

Solution
Is that PSU the older bronze TX, or the newer TXM gold rated model? Case, and if you really want it, the DVD drive can be reused. The HDD could be use for some additional storage, as I would recommend getting at least a 240gb ssd, for your OS. The system, as it sits, would be ok for a web browsing machine, at best. Would also recommend an SSD, for it, to breath some new life into it, if you intend to use it for said purpose, and more ram.

Ak47Egy

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016
So that CPU, GPU, and Motherboard are well and truly obsolete, the RAM you can't use anymore, because DDR4 is the standard, but it's sale value isn't that bad considering DDR3 is ,funnily enough, more expensive than DDR4 because of availability, that HDD is absolutely fine to slot in to a new build, that PSU is quality because of it's Gold certification, and the NZXT case would work anytime, and you can use that player if you fancy watching an old DVD of yours

logainofhades

Titan
Is that PSU the older bronze TX, or the newer TXM gold rated model? Case, and if you really want it, the DVD drive can be reused. The HDD could be use for some additional storage, as I would recommend getting at least a 240gb ssd, for your OS. The system, as it sits, would be ok for a web browsing machine, at best. Would also recommend an SSD, for it, to breath some new life into it, if you intend to use it for said purpose, and more ram.

Solution
You can reuse

WD caviar 750GB SATA HD
Corsair TX750 PS
LG DVD player
NZXT mid tower

The rest you can sell on ebay or Craigslist. Use that WD as a backup drive and storage for downloaded files, not a boot drive. At least get a cheap 256GB ssd to boot off of, though I would recommend at least a decent 480GB one.

TRENDING THREADS