[SOLVED] Recently in my pc the games I play are loading very slowly.

Astrix008

Reputable
Oct 26, 2019
I checked the cpu temps while playing the temps are around 100 degree celcius and also when I start Far Cry 5 it starts very slowly even a loading symbol appears in right down corner which I didn't even saw previously.

Solution
you need to check your CPU cooler, either you have a fan failure or the contact patch has changed.
may need new thermal paste etc... or you accidentally changed your fan curve - CPU is obviously throttling
If your CPU temps are 100°C then you need to stop, immediately, using the system, and figure out why because you have a serious overheating problem and are going to destroy your hardware. No two ways about it, there are NO, ZERO, platforms where 100°C temperatures, or any temperatures over 80-85°C for that matter, are ok.

Astrix008

Reputable
Oct 26, 2019
If your CPU temps are 100°C then you need to stop, immediately, using the system, and figure out why because you have a serious overheating problem and are going to destroy your hardware. No two ways about it, there are NO, ZERO, platforms where 100°C temperatures, or any temperatures over 80-85°C for that matter, are ok.
have you used core temp?

Astrix008

Reputable
Oct 26, 2019
you need to check your CPU cooler, either you have a fan failure or the contact patch has changed.
may need new thermal paste etc... or you accidentally changed your fan curve - CPU is obviously throttling
its been 5-6 years since I bought my pc. I think I might need a new thermal paste. I mean time could be a factor ..right?

Yes, I've used core temp. Yes, time COULD be a factor, but usually old TIM might result in a five to ten degree thermal variance, not twenty degrees over the acceptable maximum.

What are your FULL system specs? CPU, motherboard, memory, CPU cooler, case, case fans, location of all case fans, orientation of EACH case fan (Intake or exhaust, for each location) and exact power supply model?

Hard to make guesses or offer advice without knowing anything about the system. Also, what is the ambient temperature in the room where the PC is located?

its been 5-6 years since I bought my pc. I think I might need a new thermal paste. I mean time could be a factor ..right?
6 yo PC...HDD for games storage? how long since you've de-fragged it? Even an SSD will need occasional optimizing.

Old thermal paste can increase CPU operating temp a few degrees but that's unlikely to make such a noticeable change. Especially in game load times since that's much more stressing to I/O than the CPU.

Even more likely is you've allowed your Windows installation to become cluttered. How many active icons do you have in the notification area? The easy fix is a fresh install.

When/how do you know you need to optimize your ssd, and what's the process involved?

In 'This PC' folder (type it in Cortana search if you have to find it) right click on the SSD icon and select 'Properties'. In 'Tools' tab select 'Optimize and defragment' then select each drive in turn and click the OPTIMIZE button. Easy, it shouldn't take too long on SSD's but an HDD it will probably take a while.

Windows10 supposedly does this as a scheduled task but I've never notice it do it and it always needs it when I run one. I do it every week or so.

Back in the tools tab, you should also select the CHECK box in error checking. It might take a little bit of time too. It won't do anything, it just reports out if it found an error and ask if it should schedule a repair for the next re-boot.

100c??? Ouch!
What are all your specs?

Do not stress your cpu.
At idle, what is your temperature?
I would expect to see 10-15c. over ambient if your cooler is mounted properly and functioning.
Old paste is not good but is unlikely to be your problem.
More likely, your cooler has been dislodged or is defective.
Is your cpu fan running?

I found this article:
I don't know if defragging a ssd is a good thing to do now!
EDIT: Ohh, optimizing you said. I'm not sure the difference between optimizing and defragging when it comes to solid state.
Sorry for subject change, yeah man put some ice cubes on your cpu or something that's too hot!
(don't actually do that)
(unless you want to)
(you do you)

Best not to confuse the OP's question with side issues.
A SSD never needs defragging or other optimizations.
Not really true...in my experience.

First, Windows10 is smart enough to differentiate an SSD and an HDD and it will not defrag an SSD so that's not a danger if using Windows to do it. Second all OPTIMIZING an SSD does is run the TRIM command on the SSD; which is perfectly safe and a useful thing to do.

Windows SUPPOSEDLY does it (optimize or TRIM) on a scheduled task; but in my experience that task is unreliable and hardly ever runs. Not sure why, maybe it's something that's broke in my installation, but it's an indicator that it CAN break so maybe it's affecting OP.

Third..when an SSD gets really full it can start running slow, especially older SSD's. Even an SSD takes time to seek. Keeping it 'TRIMMED', i.e., returning deleted blocks to be used in it's normal operation, helps.

So, even though it may be unnecessary it's NOT HARMFUL, it COULD be helpful if OP's 6 yo. system has a full SSD and it's not TRIMMING on schedule as it should.

Oh yes, and lastly: the preceding posts left it unclear to me OP doesn't have an HDD. Defragging a 6 yo HDD will have major impact on loading up a game, so just OPTIMIZE them all since it at worse will do nothing and may just help.

Last edited:

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
Not really true...in my experience.

First, Windows10 is smart enough to differentiate an SSD and an HDD and it will not defrag an SSD so that's not a danger if using Windows to do it. Second all OPTIMIZING an SSD does is run the TRIM command on the SSD; which is perfectly and a useful thing to do.

Windows SUPPOSEDLY does it (optimize or TRIM) on a scheduled task; but in my experience that task is unreliable and hardly ever runs. Not sure why, maybe it's something that's broke in my installation, but it's an indicator that it CAN break so maybe it's affecting OP.

Third..when an SSD gets really full it can start running slow, especially older SSD's. Even an SSD takes time to seek. Keeping it 'TRIMMED', i.e., returning deleted blocks to be used in it's normal operation, helps.

So, I'm not posting to disagree, but I think the previous comment amounting to "let's not confuse the situation" is accurate.

If the temperature is 100 C, that is the primary problem. Anything else is secondary and can be addressed later. And if someone is less technical, adding other variables into the equation is just going to potentially confuse them and make them think that some people are disagreeing that 100 C is the real problem here.

That is an unacceptable temperature. It will destroy the CPU. Nothing will function properly. The PC should not even be used if it is running at that temperature.

OP, as was mentioned:
  1. Do not turn your PC on unless you are checking that the following has fixed the temp issues:
  2. Re-apply thermal paste
  3. Make sure the heatsink is working properly, or at all. If it's an AIO, perhaps the pump is dead. Make sure the fan and pump are plugged in correctly. Get a new one if you cannot rectify this
  4. Tell us what your idle temperature is, as mentioned before. If it is also in the high 80's or 90's, this is indicative of a fan not functioning, or some other heatsink issue
I know it was said that thermal paste is "unlikely" to be the main issue, but I do want to mention that a very poor quality thermal paste that is extremely old can still definitely be the one and only real problem with overheating in the right situation. I fixed my neighbor's 8 year old PC in this way. They complained that the fans were extremely noisy, and the PC was super slow and often crashed. I took the heatsink off, and the thermal paste was literally a solid. Like hardened cake icing. I wiped it all off, and applied thermal paste. The CPU temperature went down about 30 C, and the fans were not audible again. The computer ran nearly as well as the day they got it.

Last edited:
I also agree. I don't care HOW far out of whack the file system is or how badly it needs to be optimized, THAT, is NOT causing it to have a 100°C core or package temperature, and the thermal problem is of FAR more importance than anything else, bar none. So, hardware specs and the rest of the questions answered, otherwise, everybody is just shouting out loud in a dark room with no idea what they are even shouting ABOUT.

Siusiujuju

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I checked the cpu temps while playing the temps are around 100 degree celcius and also when I start Far Cry 5 it starts very slowly even a loading symbol appears in right down corner which I didn't even saw previously.

I hope you're not running a water cooler and your pump is dead....
and seriously.....when your CPU is running 100c.....and you still worry about Defragging a bloody SSD!?? come on.
if you're on a heatsink and fan, pop open the case and check if Fan is dead, touch the heatsink and see if its hot, if CPU is 100 and heatsink is barely warm then its a heat transferr issue, means it could be the thermal paste.