Question Recently installed new CPU, PC will not boot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kzarq

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019
Hi everyone. I recently installed an i7-9700k into my PC and it does not boot now. I've read multiple threads here and so far I have:

• Checked to see if RAM is in proper slots, which they are.
  • Put in my old CPU (i5-8400) to see if it boots. It does not.
  • Pulling out CMOS battery for reset. Also didnt work.
  • Checked for compatibility. I installed a new bios a week ago that supports 9th gen Intel. This wouldn't be the issue anyway, as my old CPU also doesn't boot the system.
  • Checked SATA and data connections, all are connected and fine.
I've come down to some possible conclusions for what could be going on. The new CPU is bad, which isn't possible since my old CPU as I said, also doesn't boot the system to POST. I could have damaged my mobo by static discharge but I made sure to take basic precautions i.e not working on carpet, unplugging power, etc. I could have also damaged something somehow, but I see no physical damage present.

One thing I want to point out is that my current cooler is very wonky and I dont believe it sits properly on my CPU. Could this be a reason as to why my system doesn't boot? I'll be getting a new cooler in a couple days.

One more detail, my computer lights do turn on and fans do work. Peripherals, however, do not work and there is no HDMI.

My current specs if anyone is interested:
MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
i5-8400 (Old)
i7-9700k (New)
Corsair Vengeance 2x8 GB
1070 Ti

Cooler I had was a stock intel one, which is the reason why I ordered a new one.

What could be the potential issue at hand in this case? Would appreciate help from anyone who might have an idea.

Kzarq

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019
Odd that it appears immediately after normal boot.
Goes back to my point about the BR series then, not great PSUs.
850W is still way more than needed but most Corsairs are good quality so should last plenty of time :)
Yes 850W is a bit high, but its actually a better option they had at my local best buy, as I didn't want to order online with waiting + shipping. They had a 700W EVGA BR but I didnt want to go down that path again as you point out lol. Thanks for your help again.

Reactions: PC Tailor