Question Recently installed new CPU, PC will not boot

Kzarq

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019
Hi everyone. I recently installed an i7-9700k into my PC and it does not boot now. I've read multiple threads here and so far I have:

• Checked to see if RAM is in proper slots, which they are.
  • Put in my old CPU (i5-8400) to see if it boots. It does not.
  • Pulling out CMOS battery for reset. Also didnt work.
  • Checked for compatibility. I installed a new bios a week ago that supports 9th gen Intel. This wouldn't be the issue anyway, as my old CPU also doesn't boot the system.
  • Checked SATA and data connections, all are connected and fine.
I've come down to some possible conclusions for what could be going on. The new CPU is bad, which isn't possible since my old CPU as I said, also doesn't boot the system to POST. I could have damaged my mobo by static discharge but I made sure to take basic precautions i.e not working on carpet, unplugging power, etc. I could have also damaged something somehow, but I see no physical damage present.

One thing I want to point out is that my current cooler is very wonky and I dont believe it sits properly on my CPU. Could this be a reason as to why my system doesn't boot? I'll be getting a new cooler in a couple days.

One more detail, my computer lights do turn on and fans do work. Peripherals, however, do not work and there is no HDMI.

My current specs if anyone is interested:
MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
i5-8400 (Old)
i7-9700k (New)
Corsair Vengeance 2x8 GB
1070 Ti

Cooler I had was a stock intel one, which is the reason why I ordered a new one.

What could be the potential issue at hand in this case? Would appreciate help from anyone who might have an idea.

Kzarq

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

When you say it does not boot, are there no lights, no fan spin, completely nothing?
I would perform each and every one of these steps first (even if you have done them previously): https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/
Hello and thanks for the warm welcome haha. Fans and lights do work but anything connected to the PC doesn't such as the mouse and keyboard and my monitor receives no signal. I will look into the thread you posted.

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
Static discharge seems unlikely.
When you updated the bios I take it you had the 8400 in and it worked fine afterwards?

Even with a misaligned cooler the pc should turn on and work before overheating.
I'd check -
1 - the cpu slot for bent pins, if that is the case (bent not snapped) they are fixable but you need a steady hand.
2 - check every cable to make sure nothing has come loose both motherboard and psu side if its modular. I'd replug everything securely just to be certain.

Kzarq

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019
Static discharge seems unlikely.
When you updated the bios I take it you had the 8400 in and it worked fine afterwards?

Even with a misaligned cooler the pc should turn on and work before overheating.
I'd check -
1 - the cpu slot for bent pins, if that is the case (bent not snapped) they are fixable but you need a steady hand.
2 - check every cable to make sure nothing has come loose both motherboard and psu side if its modular. I'd reply everything securely just to be certain.
Yes I did have the 8400 in while performing the BIOS update and worked fine afterward. I will recheck the slot for anything bent and will also check the psu as I actually haven't checked that yet. Is there a connection that has come loose that could cause my computer to turn on but not go to POST?

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
Yes I did have the 8400 in while performing the BIOS update and worked fine afterward. I will recheck the slot for anything bent and will also check the psu as I actually haven't checked that yet. Is there a connection that has come loose that could cause my computer to turn on but not go to POST?
Yeah your 4 pin cpu power connector could cause that issue if it's not plugged in correctly.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Any connection can cause this.
Even your CPU fan header not being populated will cause this.
Slightly dislodged CPU power or 24 pin ATX power etc.

Thus why I attached the guide, as it will cover pretty much all of the crucial and key steps, including inspecting the CPU and socket.

Kzarq

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019
Any connection can cause this.
Even your CPU fan header not being populated will cause this.
Slightly dislodged CPU power or 24 pin ATX power etc.

Thus why I attached the guide, as it will cover pretty much all of the crucial and key steps, including inspecting the CPU and socket.
I've been doing the mentioned fixes present in the thread provided, but ive exhausted most of them and not sure what to do. However very interestingly enough, I was curious to see if any pins were misaligned on the CPU socket. Using my phone, this is what I saw:

View: http://imgur.com/gallery/aXN7Nvg

Are these pins (A couple to the left) bent, or is it just my eyes? To my knowledge, if some pins are bent, it can cause this issue of not posting.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
There you have it. Bent pins.
They Can be repaired as long as there is no underlying damage, they just have to be finely brought back into line.

It's also why I posted that guide in my first post as it covers bent pins which are common in these threads.

It can easily cause no booting and would explain why the previous CPU also wouldn't boot.

Reactions: Kzarq

Kzarq

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019
There you have it. Bent pins.
They Can be repaired as long as there is no underlying damage, they just have to be finely brought back into line.

It's also why I posted that guide in my first post as it covers bent pins which are common in these threads.

It can easily cause no booting and would explain why the previous CPU also wouldn't boot.
I saw that option and was real curious. I couldn't believe what I saw and called someone else over to confirm! I'll be attempting to carefully bring those back into line, but the cause of those was certainly the cheap fan. I'll be waiting for my new one to come in before putting in the new CPU. If it works, I'll post here but if not, ill see what else I can do. I do believe the bent pins are at fault here as you mentioned my old CPU aswell. Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor

Kzarq

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

When you say it does not boot, are there no lights, no fan spin, completely nothing?
I would perform each and every one of these steps first (even if you have done them previously): https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/
Reviving this to ask a question:

Could it be that my PC was not posting due to a power consumption issue? I know the 9700K will draw more power, even before OCing, compared to the i5 8400. Currently have a 600W PSU. The fact that the 8400 also didnt work when I put it back in is concerning and makes me think something was damaged when I first powered on the 9700K. I'm not sure if something like this can happen, though lights and fans were still working so I'm not sure.

Update on attempt to fix bent pins: I tried bending them back into their proper places and putting my old cooler back on. Still did not post.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Lack of power can cause an issue, but 600W should be more than enough - assuming it is a good quality PSU.
The pins are almost undoubtedly the issue here, but usually jumping from one CPU to another won't cause immediately power problems in the manner you describe unless say the MB was not made to handle said CPU effectively.

As the CPU power draw really scales up when you start inducing load. For example (as a rough guide):

8400 idle = 11W, under stress load: 120W
9700K idle = 50W, under stress load: 230W

So without high load, I wouldn't expect the PSU to faulter unless it was really cutting it fine, however you would probably find it might faulter when load is induced.

However most 2080Ti systems can run on a 650W PSU, as long as it is good quality :)
Remember wattage is useless without quality!

Kzarq

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019
My current PSU is a modular EVGA. It seems to be pretty quality, it surely wasnt cheap when I purchased it. I'm going to double check those pins in the socket. It seems to me like I straightened them out but maybe I didn't? Will try again soon and update.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
My current PSU is a modular EVGA. It seems to be pretty quality, it surely wasnt cheap when I purchased it. I'm going to double check those pins in the socket. It seems to me like I straightened them out but maybe I didn't? Will try again soon and update.
Depends exactly what model EVGA.
EVGA make a lot of trash, but also some decent ones, like the SuperNOVA range.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Generally the BR series were not well received, If I recall correctly a budget line. So hopefully it's a better unit. Often people get surprised by the cost of good quality PSUs because it's the last thing people spend money on.

Either way, give us an update when you find out more.

Kzarq

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019
Generally the BR series were not well received, If I recall correctly a budget line. So hopefully it's a better unit. Often people get surprised by the cost of good quality PSUs because it's the last thing people spend money on.

Update on my current goings. Doesn't look too good...

I first fixed the bent pins to the best of my ability. I then breadboarded my mobo. Left only CPU, my ram, and the shoddy fan on top (Made sure the fan at least made contact with the CPU). I hooked up the mobo directly from the VGA so I could get something. Shorted the power and... nothing. No display. I have a bad feeling this might be my mobo doing this. Fans and lights all worked... Peripherals and monitor still dark. I'm thinking of getting a new mobo, a Z390, breadboarding it first and seeing what it does. If it works I keep it and if not, it must be something else going on.

Kzarq

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019

I have some more news. I replaced the motherboard. I ended up getting a new one. I still have the same exact issue...

I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like I've tried everything.... Its so upsetting honestly. I'm not sure what the problem could possibly be. I've never ever seen something like this before.
It must be my power supply. Everything else works as far as my parts go.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have some more news. I replaced the motherboard. I ended up getting a new one. I still have the same exact issue...

I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like I've tried everything.... Its so upsetting honestly. I'm not sure what the problem could possibly be. I've never ever seen something like this before.
It must be my power supply. Everything else works as far as my parts go.
Did you also ensure the CPU LGA wasn't damaged either?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I made sure of it. It's a new board. Everything seemed to be fine... I've heard shorting out can be an issue aswell. But I'm almost certain it must be my PSU. I'm not sure what else it could be at this point.
Yes that's what I mean, the CPU itself, not the board. The CPU could have potentially become damaged in the process.
Shorting can cause an issue.

I'd breadboard the system entirely. Remove it from the case, with just MB, CPU, Cooler, PSU, 1 stick of RAM and try booting on integrated graphics.

Kzarq

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019
Yes that's what I mean, the CPU itself, not the board. The CPU could have potentially become damaged in the process.
Shorting can cause an issue.

I'd breadboard the system entirely. Remove it from the case, with just MB, CPU, Cooler, PSU, 1 stick of RAM and try booting on integrated graphics.
One good thing! I stripped it all down to what you said. I have a proper startup! Kind of. So it seems to be working... but that leads to, what could the problem be when everything is put together?

Kzarq

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019
When you say kind of start up?
What I meant initially is that it started with the bare minimum and wasn't sure if it would start with some other components, so at the time I put kind of :p

However, my problem has been resolved. I replaced the EVGA 600W with a Corsair 850W 80+ Gold. It's been working very good so far. Thanks for the help to those who contributed here!

TRENDING THREADS