[SOLVED] Recently made some changes in my wifi network and sometimes it loses internet connection

Feb 19, 2021
There are three routers in my home connection, only one of them had both 2.4 and 5ghz. So I wanted the other two routers to have 5ghz too.
I left the main router as DHCP and the other two with two different static IP adresses.
The 5ghz network goes twice as fast as the 2.4 ghz but sometimes the whole network loses internet connection. What could be the problem?

Solution
I personally would recommend setting them up as access points UNLESS you have a good reason for having multiple separate SSIDs to identify and configure them all individually over your wireless configurations. I'm probably far from the guy you want helping you on this, with any sort of advanced network issues, but I HAVE done enough of them for myself and small clients to know that when you get too many routers in too small of a space it tends to cause problems.

Even a neighbors router can cause problems if you are on the same frequencies or channels as they are. If you don't know about configuring router channels, you might want to look at that too as well as looking at configuring as an access point vs a separate router.
One thing that might be helpful is knowing the models of all these routers.

Are the two other routers set up to be separate routers or as access points that are peripheral to the main router? Do you know if those routers even have access point capability and if they do, is there a specific reason you've chosen to NOT set them up simply as continuations of the primary router? Just wondering.

Reactions: watowers
Feb 19, 2021
One thing that might be helpful is knowing the models of all these routers.

Are the two other routers set up to be separate routers or as access points that are peripheral to the main router? Do you know if those routers even have access point capability and if they do, is there a specific reason you've chosen to NOT set them up simply as continuations of the primary router? Just wondering.
Thanks for answering! All of them are Linksys ea4500. They are set upto be different routers and I dont the reason of why they arent set up as access points, i always had 3 wifi networks at home. Would you recommend doing that?

I personally would recommend setting them up as access points UNLESS you have a good reason for having multiple separate SSIDs to identify and configure them all individually over your wireless configurations. I'm probably far from the guy you want helping you on this, with any sort of advanced network issues, but I HAVE done enough of them for myself and small clients to know that when you get too many routers in too small of a space it tends to cause problems.

Even a neighbors router can cause problems if you are on the same frequencies or channels as they are. If you don't know about configuring router channels, you might want to look at that too as well as looking at configuring as an access point vs a separate router.

Reactions: watowers
Solution
Feb 19, 2021

Thank you very much for your help! That was useful