Question Recently started having latency issues on every online game

Josh_791

Honorable
Apr 11, 2016
I have tried resetting network settings. I am using direct ethernet connection to pc. Problems started within last two weeks and I can't play any online games or stream games on discord chats without having terrible lag or latency spikes. I have replaced modem, router, ethernet cable and run internet speed tests trying to figure out what the issue is and cannot find the cause. What other troubleshooting options do I have?

Lutfij

Titan
Considering that all motherboards come with an NIC built in, what is the make and model of your motherboard? Please check and see what the BIOS version for your motherboard is at this moment of time. If you're using an add-on NIC adapter, please state that. Make and model of your router? Might be worth checking to see if you have any firmware updates pending on said router.

Josh_791

Honorable
Apr 11, 2016
Considering that all motherboards come with an NIC built in, what is the make and model of your motherboard? Please check and see what the BIOS version for your motherboard is at this moment of time. If you're using an add-on NIC adapter, please state that. Make and model of your router? Might be worth checking to see if you have any firmware updates pending on said router.

Motherboard: ROG STRIX Z690-A Gaming WIfi D4 ---Bios vers.2004
Router: Netgear R6700AX - AX1800

I have updated BIOS within last 2 months and updated firmware on the router when I installed it yesterday. I do have a PCIe wigig wifi card that I recently plugged into my mobo for vive vr wireless connection.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Try and run only one network adapter at a time while testing.

Download and upload speeds over time is a very simple measure. It can be misleading.

One easy test I like to do is fire up Resource Monitor, point it toward the ethernet adapters, set up some continuous outgoing data (voice chat works well) and watch it. If you see it drop to zero for brief periods it means you have an intermittent connection. If you then switch to wireless and the problem goes away, then you likely have some sort of hardware problem. If it is consistent between the two, you can point fingers at your ISP.

I once had an intermittent upload loss of signal that was a line problem. Downloads worked fine, general web browsing looked good, but gaming was a latency riddled nightmare.

Lutfij

Titan
You have BIOS updates pending;
be sure to follow through the ME updates as state in the BIOS notes before moving forward.

You could try manually reinstalling your NIC drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, assuming you're on Microsoft's Windows OS environment.

Likewise, you might want to see if the router has any firmware updates pending. Perhaps try and down grade one step to a prior version. Did the issue crop up after an OS update...so to speak?

Josh_791

Honorable
Apr 11, 2016
You have BIOS updates pending;
be sure to follow through the ME updates as state in the BIOS notes before moving forward.

You could try manually reinstalling your NIC drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, assuming you're on Microsoft's Windows OS environment.

Likewise, you might want to see if the router has any firmware updates pending. Perhaps try and down grade one step to a prior version. Did the issue crop up after an OS update...so to speak?
I updated and confirmed that bios update and ME tool version were up to date and manually updated NIC driver. Still experiencing issues. I haven't updated any recent OS updates. I am running windows 11

Josh_791

Honorable
Apr 11, 2016
Try and run only one network adapter at a time while testing.

Download and upload speeds over time is a very simple measure. It can be misleading.

One easy test I like to do is fire up Resource Monitor, point it toward the ethernet adapters, set up some continuous outgoing data (voice chat works well) and watch it. If you see it drop to zero for brief periods it means you have an intermittent connection. If you then switch to wireless and the problem goes away, then you likely have some sort of hardware problem. If it is consistent between the two, you can point fingers at your ISP.

I once had an intermittent upload loss of signal that was a line problem. Downloads worked fine, general web browsing looked good, but gaming was a latency riddled nightmare.
I am not sure how to read the resource monitor. I noticed whatever focused app I had up had the most latency. Spiked on both wireless and ethernet connection. But I do have an ethernet connection from one side of the house to my room where my router is located then ethernet coming out from the router to pc. Is there anyway to test the line between my router in my room to the router at the front of the house?