Recently upgraded computer and installed a fresh Windows 7 and got a boot loop.

jtoscarson

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
So I just got a few new parts:

Intel Core i5-4670K
GIGABYTE GA-Z87MX-D3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
RAIDMAX RX-1000AE 1000W

I am re-using:

Thermaltake Overseer
Powercolor HD 6950 2GB
An assortment of spindle drives.
Asus DVD Drive
And an aftermarket air cooler

So I took my time and made sure that I set everything up correctly. I have learned from the past to only have one HDD plugged into the Mobo while I do the install, (the drive did have Win7 on it before but I wanted to do a fresh install.) I am using a 16gb USB flash drive to install windows, I have used that image before, but not on this drive. The install process goes through fine. I get to the part were I create a user name and password and then its about to open in windows. It then turns off, and then my mobo goes into a boot loop, just getting to the splash page, and then off. If I then access the boot manager in the bios and select the drive I installed it on it just goes back into the boot loop. So I tried to delete the partitions and reinstall windows again. The exact same thing happened.

I am currently unable to work on the PC right now and I have a few ideas:
1. I am going to try a new drive
2. I am going to make a new windows boot drive
3 I am going to try to install linux, if windows refuses to boot.

Do any of you have any other ideas that I could try before I put linux on there... (I got this nice gaming rig, I don't want to waste it with linux). Thanks for all of your help.

Sorry for the length I just wanted to make sure that I was thorough.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Try doing the install with a single drive, and maybe just a single stick of DRAM, if it goees through, update all the mobo drivers with those from the mobo website and also the BIOS if it needs it - have a feeling you have something in the rig that Win doesn't have a good default driver for

jtoscarson

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

Thanks for that suggestion I didn't even think about that. I'll try that as soon as I get home.

jtoscarson

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
I was able to flash the bios to F5 this afternoon, and then I tried to install windows again and I got to the exact same place. A friend of mine suggested swap the power supply with the old one and see if that helps, so that's what I'm going to do tonight. Any other suggestions would be great. Also I know you suggested upgrading the drivers, I though am not sure how to do that through the bios.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Try reinstalling Windows but when you get to the screen where you choose the target partition, click on 'Advanced'.

Delete all the partitions on the drive.

Create a new single partition and allocate all the space to it.

Windows will create an extra system partition and will 'Format' so don't bother with 'Format'.

Now continue with the installation and see if you get a different outcome.

tiredeyes69

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Okay just trying the win 7 install with one stick of DRAM, I also chose the windows safe mode video support of (800x640?) in case it is a problem with the video driver on this new i5-4670K CPU.
fingers crossed please !

tiredeyes69

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Nope didn't work. tried 1x DRAM in slot closest to CPU (channel A)(4) then tried again, wiped both partitions on my GT 120GB SSD.
(1 partition of 100mb and the other (117gb or wot evs)
very infuriating.
Gona try windows 8 now :(

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Have a look at the SATA Mode in BIOS - is it set to IDE?

Try setting it to AHCI and restart.

Or vice versa; if AHCI is selected, change to IDE.

Does that make a difference?

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

+1

Was Windows 7 the first O/S to be installed on that drive?