[SOLVED] Recently upgraded GPU and power supply and getting lower frames

brandonlm

Prominent
Sep 19, 2019
I recently upgraded from a 1050Ti to a 1660Ti and my frames are worse than they were with the 1050. I upgraded my power supply as well because with the 1050 I had a 300W and the 1660 requires a minimum of 450. I upgraded to a 650W to solve that issue. Now I'm trying to play games with it and the frames are worse than they were with the 1050 which doesn't make since since the 1660 is a huge upgrade. Any advice/tips on how to fix this issue would be so much appreciated.

Here is my benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20285205

Solution
If your drivers are up to date already:
It's because you went and got a stronger gpu when you were already cpu limited with your last gpu due to only running a single stick of ram.
2 sticks for dual channel is ideal for gaming setups, not one.

Now you need a proper kit of 2 sticks(sell the old one)... or you can play the mixed ram game:
-Memory is only guaranteed to work as sold
-Different kits of the same brand and specs can still fail - this is simply the combination with the highest compatibility rate
-The symptoms of mixing ram do not always show up right away: freezing/crashing, stuttering, BSODs

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If your drivers are up to date already:
It's because you went and got a stronger gpu when you were already cpu limited with your last gpu due to only running a single stick of ram.
2 sticks for dual channel is ideal for gaming setups, not one.

Now you need a proper kit of 2 sticks(sell the old one)... or you can play the mixed ram game:
-Memory is only guaranteed to work as sold
-Different kits of the same brand and specs can still fail - this is simply the combination with the highest compatibility rate
-The symptoms of mixing ram do not always show up right away: freezing/crashing, stuttering, BSODs

Solution