[SOLVED] Recently upgraded motherboard and cpu but having problems with computer not turning on properly

crazypapajay

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2013
Hey guys so recently i upgraded my pc's mobo and cpu, but im having trouble with a couple things.

First when i turn on my PC it turns on for about 1 second, turns off, then turns on again after a second or two. it will do this maybe once or twice before finally stabilizing and staying on. All the fans and the AIO pump seem to be working.

Second my monitors keep saying "Displayport no signal". Its making it so i cant access the bios after i cmos(which i dont know if im doing correctly as it didnt come with a jumper cap).
I've tried fitting the ram in different compatible slots and CMOS'ing with a metal screwdriver after looking online. Not sure what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Original PC list
i5 5700k
asus strix gaming 1070
ga-z170x-ud3 ultra
corsair dominator 16 gb
some corsair 850W fully modular psu ( cant remember exact one)
kraken x62 AIO cpu cooler/pump

New Parts
Asus PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Intel Core i9-9900KF

Solution
  1. Hmm im fairly certain ive connected everything properly. ive checked again and everything seems to be in order.
  2. i did not know this. ive been away from following the new tech stuff and tbqh this is new territory for me.
i will try the troubleshooting checklist first then try reinstalling the os if the checklist does not help.
"fairly certain"...but it doesn't power up. Something is wrong. That leads to a physical issue.

For the actual old OS and new hardware....
Doing that, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

I've seen all 3. Increasingly, #3 is the most prevalent. And the only real fix is the actual...

crazypapajay

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2013
  1. You're absolutely sure that everything is connected properly? 100% sure of this? Check it again.
  2. You do realize that this may need a full OS reinstall, right?
  1. Hmm im fairly certain ive connected everything properly. ive checked again and everything seems to be in order.
  2. i did not know this. ive been away from following the new tech stuff and tbqh this is new territory for me.
i will try the troubleshooting checklist first then try reinstalling the os if the checklist does not help.

USAFRet

Titan
"fairly certain"...but it doesn't power up. Something is wrong. That leads to a physical issue.

For the actual old OS and new hardware....
Doing that, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

I've seen all 3. Increasingly, #3 is the most prevalent. And the only real fix is the actual reinstall.

A clean install is always recommended, often required. Anyone who says "It always works, don't worry about it" is blowing smoke.

Solution