Question Recently upgraded system randomly reboots and unable to find system drives

Jun 5, 2022
Hi I recently upgraded my cpu, cooler and fans, and has been running into random restart issues. Sometimes the computer starts fine but when I open up the browser and do some simple tasks, the computer goes to a blue error screen and restarts. Upon restart, sometimes it’ll ask me to reboot and select proper boot device. Resetting the bios would work again.

I wonder if this is due to underpowered psu? Since I upgraded cpu and added a m.2, as well as a liquid cooler, the estimated total consumption is about 770w I think with all the rgb fans. The psu is 4+ years old.

my current build:
asus strix z790 WiFi E motherboard
I7 13700k
Gtx 1080ti
Corsair h850i psu
Corsair h150i elite liquid cooler
3x Samsung m.2 drives and 1 ssd

thanks

Last edited:
If you're sure then very good. I wanted to have you starting to check possible mobo/bios/cpu issues first because that is often the simplest and least expensive way of fixing the issue. But if you have checked out this, then next step on the list is to check if the mounting of new CPU is done correctly. Maybe a re-seating of the CPU will fix your issue.

Jun 5, 2022
If you're sure then very good. I wanted to have you starting to check possible mobo/bios/cpu issues first because that is often the simplest and least expensive way of fixing the issue. But if you have checked out this, then next step on the list is to check if the mounting of new CPU is done correctly. Maybe a re-seating of the CPU will fix your issue.
I just checked 13700k’s supported memory is only up to 5600, the memory I got is 6400 speed, could this be the reason?

Jun 5, 2022
Ok, there are some web pages that mention that CPU, here and here. None I can see suggest an issue regarding RAM speed.

Next question: Have you enabled XMP, and if yes - have you tried to disable XMP ?
I’m using a ddr5 only motherboard and this cpu only supports up to 5600, so I think there’s a limited selection of memories I can choose from

I enabled Xmp and also tried to disable it the issue would still occur no matter enabling/disabling