[SOLVED] Recently upgraded system restarts randomly and can’t find system drive ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 5, 2022
Hi I recently upgraded my cpu, cooler and fans, and has been running into random restart issues. Sometimes the computer starts fine but when I open up the browser and do some simple tasks, the computer goes to a blue error screen and restarts. Upon restart, sometimes it’ll ask me to reboot and select proper boot device. Resetting the bios would work again.

I wonder if this is due to underpowered psu? Since I upgraded cpu and added a m.2, as well as a liquid cooler, the estimated total consumption is about 770w I think with all the rgb fans. The psu is 4+ years old.

my current build:
asus strix z790 wifi E mothserboarf
Trident Z 16x 2 ddr5 memory
I7 13700k
Gtx 1080ti
Corsair h850i psu
Corsair h150i elite liquid cooler
3x Samsung m.2 drives and 1 ssd

thanks

Last edited:
Solution
It could very well have been not fully installed, one or more drives. So if it's all good now though, might not even be worth worrying about again.
Jun 5, 2022
Ok, so I'm confused now.

Please list the EXACT models of ALL drives attached to this system.

Please list EXACTLY where each of those drives was connected when it was not working and where each of them is exactly at now that it "is".
system drive:
-970 EVO 500GB
Other drives:
-970 EVO 1TB
-860 EVO 2TB (SATA SSD)
-980 EVO 2TB

Initial setup (blue screen and erroring out & reboot issue): System drive 970 EVO 500GB was connected to M.2_2 if i remembered correctly, other drives were connected to M.2_4 and M.2_5, SATA SSD was connected to SATA_1.
Current setup (working): System drive 970 EVO 500GB connected to M.2_5, other drives connected to M.2_3 and M.2_4 (all to chipset), SATA SSD is connected to SATA_1 but i switched the ends of the cable.

So all of your M.2 drives are PCIe. None of them are SATA, right? ONLY your 2.5" SSD is SATA, correct?

If that's the case then it shouldn't matter at all where any of them are connected except that I'd try to use the M.2_1 header for the system drive, where Windows lives.

Jun 5, 2022
So all of your M.2 drives are PCIe. None of them are SATA, right? ONLY your 2.5" SSD is SATA, correct?

If that's the case then it shouldn't matter at all where any of them are connected except that I'd try to use the M.2_1 header for the system drive, where Windows lives.
none of them are SATA, except the 2.5 SSD. im not sure what initially caused the error then, maybe bad connection on the SSD?