Question Receving packet delay issues every minute/multiple times a minute, Gaming is unplayable. What can i do?

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
So about ~5 days ago, I started to have internet problems. Im not expert by any means, just experienced in some sense. I was never ever getting disconnected from my games, but I was lagging. Not like normal constant delay lag, but lag where my character/enemies in the game im playing would freeze for a second or two, then suddenly I/enemies would be teleported to where the server thought i was. I immediately thought of packet loss/packet delay. And upon testing, I am getting constant delay. Some of the packets are 200ms+ delay, sometimes I get little that are like 100ish like in the screenshot, but its still happening. I know this does not matter much for streaming/download, but for gaming its a huge problem. Im also unable to be heard by other people in my VoIP program(Discord) for a few seconds when it happens (which is multiple times a minute or once a minute)

At first i thought It was because of the heavy rain we've been receiving lately, and chalked it up to isp problems. But its been rain free for like 3 days now, and the problem is still the same if not a bit worst. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I would contact my ISP, but I don't want them to come and charge me because its not their problem. Any advice would be helpful.

Note: I am using Ethernet

image.png

Last edited:
So about ~5 days ago, I started to have internet problems. Im not expert by any means, just experienced in some sense. I was never ever getting disconnected from my games, but I was lagging. Not like normal constant delay lag, but lag where my character/enemies in the game im playing would freeze for a second or two, then suddenly I/enemies would be teleported to where the server thought i was. I immediately thought of packet loss/packet delay. And upon testing, I am getting constant delay. Some of the packets are 200ms+ delay, sometimes I get little that are like 100ish like in the screenshot, but its still happening. I know this does not matter much for streaming/download, but for gaming its a huge problem. Im also unable to be heard by other people in my VoIP program(Discord) for a few seconds when it happens (which is multiple times a minute or once a minute)

At first i thought It was because of the heavy rain we've been receiving lately, and chalked it up to isp problems. But its been rain free for like 3 days now, and the problem is still the same if not a bit worst. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I would contact my ISP, but I don't want them to come and charge me because its not their problem. Any advice would be helpful.

Note: I am using Ethernet

image.png
Full system specs sounds like your drivers are incorrect or failed to update properly.

So where is that graph showing delay to.

You really need to find out where in the path the delay is happening.

Run tracert to get a list of the routers in the path and then test with something like a constant ping to find the first hop that causes the problem.

I'd agree with the tracert being the best tool. If the delay during a lag spike is undelayed to the modem, but delayed further up the chain, then the weather does figure in as an ISP issue. FYI, not all hops will respond to the ICMP protocol, and so some hops won't reply, but if you can find a particular node, then this is useful to the ISP.

What happens a lot is that underground (or even above ground) cables age, and eventually they become vulnerable to moisture in cracks or physical connections. Sometimes as those defect start they will be "directional", and for example, face only the sky or some particular direction such that they only fail when there is a noise source in that direction. In Colorado I had an issue like this and had to track where it was to get the ISP's manager to locate those defects (the regular repair guys don't have the expensive signal quality analysis tools). What it came down to were older cables not rated for that speed getting old, and opening up pointing vertically; the defects were at the exact times that the Air Force Academy training flights for AWACS were passing over (those schedules are actually provided to larger ISPs for this purpose). It got them replaced. Without the tracert to name specific nodes and specific times it can be nearly impossible to know of any defect, and certainly most of the techs do not have the proper equipment to trace this, so times and nodes being hit helps a lot to get the issue escalated.

Not to mention it might be local to your house. If the tracert though shows consistent traffic to a node just outside of your house, then it is the ISP's responsibility, and weather plays a big part in that too since moisture increases in the ground finds weaknesses.

How the heck did all the PCs in OPs home suddenly get bad or not installed ethernet drivers simultaneously? LMAO
Never said that it was all of a sudden could just be a bad driver update to all the systems if their not the right driver and they got a update that conflicts with the existing system and everything over time will cause massive issues. Never said this was the problem if he loves near me it can be as stupid as people are are setting the phone lines and everything on fire

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
So where is that graph showing delay to.

You really need to find out where in the path the delay is happening.

Run tracert to get a list of the routers in the path and then test with something like a constant ping to find the first hop that causes the problem.
im not really sure what tracer is, but i googles tracer test and did 2 different websites, hopefully that was it or else im not sure what it would be?
image.png

The new data you post shows no problems at all. What is strange is how low the latency is, this is almost as though you tested a fake network in your house.

It is more likely you have a fiber connection and you are testing some server withing your ISP network that is very close to your house physically.

What this shows though is there is no problem in your house or in the connection between your house and the ISP. This is going to make finding/fixing the issue much more complex. It is not something simple like water in a cable near your house.

You really need to test to the location that the other tool was showing 60ms. If that is something from inside say a game you have to be very suspect of software like that.

The other possibility is your problem is just very intermittent and didn't happen when you where running the simple traces you did. Maybe start again and do the standard open a cmd window in the background and leave a constant ping run to some IP like 8.8.8.8. Then when the other tool says you have issues check the ping window and see if you see corresponding delays or loss. If you do you can then test some of the other IP you see in your trace.