• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Recognizing My Second Hard Drive

RB

I have added a second hard drive as a slave drive. Both dirves are 160 GB,
Windows will recognize the second drive for a while then it suddenly
disappears. I have partitioned the second drive into a ~40 GB and ~120 GB
drives. I have installed the second one 4 times, and am afraid to put data
on it for fear of losing it. BTW - BIO recognizes both, but Windows won't at
least in explorer? Can anyone help me???

anna

"RB" <RB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have added a second hard drive as a slave drive. Both dirves are 160 GB,
> Windows will recognize the second drive for a while then it suddenly
> disappears. I have partitioned the second drive into a ~40 GB and ~120 GB
> drives. I have installed the second one 4 times, and am afraid to put
> data
> on it for fear of losing it. BTW - BIO recognizes both, but Windows won't
> at
> least in explorer? Can anyone help me???

RB:
When you say " Windows will recognize the second drive for a while then it
suddenly disappears.", what precisely does this mean? When you boot up that
drive appears (is listed) in My Computer and Windows Explorer for x amount
of minutes, and then "disappears"?

Or sometimes the drive appears upon boot up and other times it doesn't?

What does Disk Management show re that drive?

Are you *certain* that your IDE connections are proper & secure and that the
drive is correctly jumpered?

And that the drive has been properly partitioned and formatted?
Anna

RB

Yes to your two questions on IDE connections and jumpers.

The drive recognition is being lost upon a reboot or a cold boot. I
understand windows is aware of this problem and is researching it.