RECOMENDATIONS

russellie

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Hi All
Need a bit of help (advice) Have always used Radeon cards and have been well satisfied, from the x300 t0 800 to 1650 pro. now need to upgrade again due to gaming demands.

Running a Gigabyte P35 dual core 4 gig mem 500 hd and 650 w power. am not realy interested in High Def !! W ould the Saphire 1800 / 1900 be Good buy. ?

Regards
Russ

russellie

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Have played all Stalker except Pripyat awaiting release!! Halo series C.o.D ect . res 1280 x 1024 can go a bit higher Running Vista 32 Bit

You mean PCI(E) right ?
Why not a 5750 Pripyat is going to include DX11 so why not get a card thats capable of showing the game to the fullest while you are about it ?
That will bring you bang upto date with GPU tech and wont cost an arm and a leg either.
What sort of budget are you on and where are you ? USA/UK etc.

Mactronix

russellie

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
They may be old cards but they still do a good job!!!! About time the manufacturers realised that not every body has deep pockets and HD monitors.
It seems that every game that comes out needs a specific card . they are out to con us and bleed us dry.

Any way I did say I was not interested in a HD card as I dont run nor can afford an HD monitor!!!!
so all I am looking for is an upgrade for the 1650Pro

Sorry but im going to be blunt here. I have asked you for a budget and where you are from so we can use the right market and you have supplied no budget info.
WR2 has asked what the price of a 1800/1900 is now, again no price info, you seem more interested in being defensive about the older cards.

All we are trying to do is get you the best deal, just because the ATI cards are prefaced by HD dosent make them HD only cards they are GPU's that can support HD they will still output regular resolutions.
If you want to buy a piece of crap card to save a couple off quid then you can. OR you can stop mucking us about and give us a budget and we can recomend a decent up to date ish card that will give you a better experiance than any X1XXX card ever could.
remember YOU asked us for advice.

mactronix :)

I tried to find a benchmark test to show how the 4yr old 19xx video cards measured up against the newer 98xx & 48xx video cards. Not happening I guess.
But who would pay that amount of money and get 1/3~1/2 the performance of like priced current video card?

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Just go with this... the HD 4670 is about as fast as the HD 3850, which is likely 50%+ faster than the X1900xt. Oh, and the HD 4850 is about twice as fast as the HD 4670... soooo.... if you're on PCI-e you have no reason NOT to get an HD 4xxx series or higher.

russellie

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

Thanks for a polite reply

I have a 4350 and to be honest it is useless . and reinstalled the 1650pro. looking at about the £100 mark. as I said I am running a gigabyte
P35 S Series dual core 500 H/Drive 4 gig ram pci express 600w power.

Thanks for finally answering a civil question.

I repeat,
Why not a 5750 Pripyat is going to include DX11 so why not get a card thats capable of showing the game to the fullest while you are about it ?
That will bring you bang upto date with GPU tech and wont cost an arm and a leg either.

Mactronix

4745454b

Titan
If you have 100 and someone linked a 4850 for 89 shipped, get that. Much better card, and no CF issues. I'm not sure why your so upset, not answering the questions we need to help you helps no one.

russellie

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Sorry if I upset anyone.. lets start again. The 4850 looks a good buy. the only problem I see is Radeon states an HD monitor is required ?????
secondly would you recomend a 512 mb or a 1 gig

4745454b

Titan
Do you know what HD means? "Hi Def" (as far as TV goes which is probably what your thinking of) means anything higher then standard def. That is 640x480 for most of us. You are in Europe which uses PAL, so this means anything higher then 625x576(?) is "hi def". 1024x768, 1280x1024, and everything else higher then 640x480 are all hi def.

As was also mentioned, its just he name on the card. It doesn't mean you HAVE to be running 1680x1050+ inorder to use it. For your resolution, 512MB is fine.

russellie

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

Thanks for your prompt reply and clearing up the HD question. Will go with the 4850, perhaps you can help on another querey? what is the difference between a Radeon and say the Saphire? is it just a different manufacturer producing it under licence for Radeon?

I must admit the H/D issue was confusing with the TV !!

4745454b

Titan
Formally ATI now AMD used to make cards. Like Nvidia however they have stopped this practice. They both now contract out to physically make the chips, which they sell to others to make cards. Popular companies who make cards for AMD are Sapphire, Asus, HiS, and now XFX. I guess technically Radeon is the name of the chip.