[SOLVED] Recomended PSU wattade

bstud

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
I have a Gigabyte mobo GA 78LMT-S2, AMD FX 6300 cpu, 2 x 4gb ram(going to 2 x 8gb ram, Razen R7-240 Graphic Card (going to ARX9-380) ,Standard Ethernet card, 3 x 2tb 7200rpm HDD, 1 x 120gb SSD, 5 x 120mm High speed Fans, Cpu cooler with 120mm Fan, Keyboard, mouse and 24" monitor. Right now I'm using a 600w psu. and was wondering if I should just jump to 1000w psu now, who knows what the future holds or is the 600w enough ?

Solution
Just try it with your psu.

Yes 600watts is enough and yes your psu is probably not the best series out there (it might be the "white version",might as well be the B1) ,still see no problems until they arise. It has good enough protections so if you might run into stability issues,restarts or other problems after upgrading do get another psu,but until then are you imo fine.

What 600w psu?
Wattage means nothing if we don't know what psu it is. There are plenty of terrible psu's out there boasting that they can reach 600w but the moment anything more than 250 is asked they die.
So please post your psu's model first.

I'm going to assume the worst and that is the evga W1. Which can work but will most likely not work for long or will fail to power the system the moment you game.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Just try it with your psu.

Yes 600watts is enough and yes your psu is probably not the best series out there (it might be the "white version",might as well be the B1) ,still see no problems until they arise. It has good enough protections so if you might run into stability issues,restarts or other problems after upgrading do get another psu,but until then are you imo fine.

Solution

bstud

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011

bstud

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011

I just looked at the paper work all it says is "EVGA 80 plus 600w ATX 12v/ESP/12V

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Which most likely is the "White" version. As said not realy high quality, still imo could you well try this,the system does when gaming maybe use a third of that 600watt so isn't really pushing the psu, even when doing 250watts should you be fine,that is less than half of what it is rated for on the +12V rails.

Like i said if you start to encounter problems (described above) after upgrading and that gpu isn't the issue (guess it's a used one) get a better psu.

TRENDING THREADS