Recomissioning old computers as retro gaming systems

G

I have some old computers with Windows 95, 98, 2000, and XP, that I've kept to try to maximize for games I couldn't afford to play with great graphics when I first purchased the systems, but they just ended up taking a backseat and now are just taking up space but I'd rather not toss them.

I'd like to set them up so that they boot to a menu that lets you select from installed games, most of them coming from CD-ROM, many coming from the old floppy disk files I had.

I've noticed the emulations or repackages can be glitchy (like DOS-box games) and not quite the experience the originals were meant to be, so I'm wondering if there's some way to repackage these desktop computers with the right kind of paint job or decals etc to make them appealing as a retro gaming station for someone's game room.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I am not convinced that the technolgy would be viable.

Your artwork would really need to be awesome to get people to part with cash for effectively old junk.

I could be wrong, but I doubt if a standard PC would cut it.

You would have better luck with an old arcade system (think space invaders table)

G

How would it not be viable? The hardware was built for the software... the games work with it, the minimum/recommended requirements are already there. The software would be pre-installed and some kind of menu program would run on top of Windows to select the game to play. That's what I'm looking for.

A Space Invaders "table" is equivalent to an old Windows PC running pre-installed Windows games that are already compatible with the OS and hardware... not sure if you really read or understood my post.

G

The point isn't to surf the internet... seriously people read the post.

The point is to make a dedicated retro gaming machine... decked out with cool artwork. Remember the old arcade machines, with their cool artwork? This would be like that, but with a bunch of pre-installed games selectable from a menu on bootup.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
As I said originally, the artwork would have to be cool.

If it was in an arcade format then maybe. You would have better luck if it was not in a standard PC box, rather it was a furniture item.

You would need to factor in the cost of the games plus warranty plus delivery, so costs will start to add up.

You are looking at old components that may die sooner rather than later so you may have unhappy customers.

You might find someone who would buy (depending on price and finish). I know I wouldn't want one personally.

Good luck.

Wolfshadw

Titan
The problem you're going to run into is that most people who would use what you have to offer... already have what you have to offer. I mean, I already have a fully functional XPSP3 system just waiting to be used. While I could installed the original Doom or even the original Warcraft on that system, There's no need. Many of those older games run just fine on my Windows 10 system in DosBox.

If I really wanted to, I could probably piece together an old P3-800 system from my spare parts and run Windows 2000 on it. If I really wanted to go old school, while I'd have to find a working 3.5" floppy disk drive, I could go as far back as DOS 6.

I've got the hardware and the know-how. I just don't have the need. I think there are a LOT of us enthusiasts who are in the same boat.

-Wolf sends

USAFRet

Titan
Well...I could buy your old system with a fancy paint job, and play old games.
Or I could play Quake I, Unreal, Commander Keen...on my current Win 10 system via Steam.

You're chasing a tiny market.
What might be your selling price for a full system?