Recommandation for a quiet case

Yonany

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
Im planning on buying a new rig very soon with 8700K and GTX1080TI and i want a very quiet case.

i was thinking about the Fractal Design R5 but in a review the guy mentioned that if a fan is mounted on the side or top of the case (which otherwise be covered with a metal plate) you loose some of "quietness".

i want a case without glass or LEDs in the price range of the R5.
if the R5 is good enough i will go with that though.

Solution

It might and might not lower the GPU temp I would not even think of adding one unless you are having heat issues with the card airflow can be a bit tricky more fans is not always better for cooling. With what you have listed with the case setup I stated I would not think your going to have thermal problems.
Your not going to improve the performance of a video card by running it cooler unless the temp is high enough for thermal throttling.

Yonany

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
so 2 intakes on the front and 1 exhaust in the back?
i thought about an additional intake on the side to feed the GPU, wouldnt it help to keep temps down and potentially improve GPU performance?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Add the extra to the front and remove the center drive bay that is the same amount of sirfloe in the case.
It clears the path for air.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fractal+R5+center+drive+bay+removal&client=tablet-android-verizon&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJhM7UnNXWAhVL6iYKHRbIAJwQ_AUIEigC&biw=1024&bih=768#imgrc=2FBpdLXKbCRpyM:

Yonany

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
yea, i planned to do this. i got only 3 harddrives so the center bay is just blocking the fan.

but my question was about the side fan, should i mount a fan there or it will just break the noise seal and wont change temps?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

It might and might not lower the GPU temp I would not even think of adding one unless you are having heat issues with the card airflow can be a bit tricky more fans is not always better for cooling. With what you have listed with the case setup I stated I would not think your going to have thermal problems.
Your not going to improve the performance of a video card by running it cooler unless the temp is high enough for thermal throttling.

Solution

Yonany

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
if the temps are lower i can get a better OC out of it.
ofcourse that even 40c isnt going to yield better performance unless the GPU is throttling.

i think that i will go for the R5, use it "as is" and see if there is a need to add fans.

TY guys very much!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

I have used that case several times add the fan remove the bay.

TRENDING THREADS