Recommend a 27inch 1440P 144hz monitor? anyone else got one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

askara

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
at less than £600? best about £500

I am not sure what to get, IPS or TN or VA. i got my hand on two 27inch 4K IPS before. they both had an issue with IPS glow. so i am learning to TN, but then there is issue of poor colour(not sure if i will notice this irl) and i heard TN panel have a very narrow viewing angle. that even if you straight on. the edge of a big monitor may have colour shift. anyone has one that can confirm? but i am open to any panel type

Also is there any 4K 120hz+ monitor coming out? only heard the one with HDR and G-sync which i assume going to cost an arm and leg

Solution

It is if you want to take maximum advantage of your GPU and have a smooth gameplay experience without stutters from variation in frame rates in games. My 60Hz Dell 1440p for example needs to be V-sync locked at 60Hz/60FPS in games which is extreme overkill for my 1080 Ti capable of running games well in excess of 100FPS. You have a stutter/artifact free experience when your monitor's Hz matches your FPS in games which is what G-sync and AMD's Freesync do.

Speaking of Freesync, that's another option I've been looking into for myself. While it does not work with Nvidia's GPUs directly, you can still buy a 144Hz Freesync monitor and then create a...
TN panels have come a long way over the years and have closed in on IPS quality (things like viewing angles and color reproduction specifically). TN panels can be calibrated with an aftermarket calibration tool to further close that gap in color level and gray-white quality compared to IPS. I bought a Datacolor Spyder5PRO and it's the best $190 investment I've ever made.

However there is one thing you need to keep in mind that may or may not be of importance to you depending on what games you play: IPS panels have a slower response time than TN panels which are typically 1-2ms. This is very subjective. Higher (slower) response times bothers some more than others. For me it doesn't and my Dell 60Hz 1440p IPS is a relatively slow 6ms response time. I've never had problems with fast shooters and RPGs. Others might find that too slow however.

askara

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I am fine with just about any response time or input lag for monitor. i mean i am not cyborg with godly reaction time. i never notice them anyway.

The samsung is pretty good, too bad its curved

askara

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009

Yeah, so dam tempting, everytime i ask for at a low price. but the stand design really put me off, plus that juvenile logo in front. but gam dam 144hz with g-sync. i dont think anything can beat it at this price

Yeah I'd overlook that gimpy look at that price. Especially considering at least half my gaming is at night with low ambient room lighting anyway. You could always buy a cool VESA rear desk mount with the savings anyway and free up space on the desk. And electrical tape or matte black model paint would take care of that lit logo (I'd hope at the very least there's an option to turn it off in the screen menu).

askara

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009

yeah. i probably tape over it. there was another acer monitor(Acer XF270HUAbmiidprzx) that is similar price and spec but IPS and no g-sync. i did jump all over it has g-sync. actually is g-sync that important at 144hz? (assuming my gpu output 100-ish fps

askara

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
another one ASUS MG279Q, no g-sync but IPS.

Do you mean predator or the Acer XF270HUA? If its the Acer XF270HUA, its actually more expensive

It is if you want to take maximum advantage of your GPU and have a smooth gameplay experience without stutters from variation in frame rates in games. My 60Hz Dell 1440p for example needs to be V-sync locked at 60Hz/60FPS in games which is extreme overkill for my 1080 Ti capable of running games well in excess of 100FPS. You have a stutter/artifact free experience when your monitor's Hz matches your FPS in games which is what G-sync and AMD's Freesync do.

Speaking of Freesync, that's another option I've been looking into for myself. While it does not work with Nvidia's GPUs directly, you can still buy a 144Hz Freesync monitor and then create a custom resolution setting in the control panel for like say 120Hz or 100Hz and then set V-sync to lock it down. You'd just need to know where your GPU is in performance in games to fully cover that Hz/FPS match. So for example if you have benchmarked some games and your min/max/avg frames are 102/123/112, you can create a custom setting at 100Hz then V-sync. Freesync monitors are also less expensive than G-sync ones.

Regarding your original question I missed about 4K 120Hz+, I have heard nothing about it for PC monitors. I have seen 4K Freesync monitors but they are still 60Hz. Nvidia is still working on G-sync for 4K but a 120Hz one is coming soon. They teased this year's CES (Consumer Electronics Show) with a 65-inch 120Hz G-sync HDR display, a new series line they call "BFGD" for big format gaming display. You can read more about that here:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/7/16862054/nvidia-4k-hdr-gaming-monitors-bfgds-g-sync-ces-2018

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.