[SOLVED] Recommend a external hard drive docking station to wipe drives

Aug 24, 2020
I have decommissioned a Western Digital MyCloud EX4 and I need to wipe the 4 drives that lived in the NAS.

I have a Sabrent SATA to USB connector and tried to wipe the drives from Ubuntu, but when viewing the drives with gdisk -l and lsusb, I could see a ton of errors, for some reason.

I was wondering if I were to purchase an external hard drive docking station, say a Sabrenet USB 3.0 to SATA Dual Bay. Would I be able to wipe these drives from Ubuntu with any issues?

thanks

Solution
Were the drives in question configured in RAID 5? Individually, any data from any combination of less than 3 of them are but useless fragments of assorted bytes.

You could certainly hook them up one at a time (or all, with enough SATA ports/power cables) with a SATA data and SATA power cable, and clear them with a single pass with a bootable DBAN configured USB flash drive. (Disconnect any/all of your actual drives during this process!)
Were the drives in question configured in RAID 5? Individually, any data from any combination of less than 3 of them are but useless fragments of assorted bytes.

You could certainly hook them up one at a time (or all, with enough SATA ports/power cables) with a SATA data and SATA power cable, and clear them with a single pass with a bootable DBAN configured USB flash drive. (Disconnect any/all of your actual drives during this process!)

Solution
Aug 24, 2020

Correct, had 4 drives in a RAID 5 configuration.

I was going to use the command shred against the drives, 3 passes to be sure. There is no hurry.