[SOLVED] Recommend a graphics card for my Z77 Extreme4 mobo please? think its LG1155

boivinator

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
trying to just play final fantasy 14 on top graphics. had a radeon hd 7950 but it burned out. looking to get a good priced video card. i think i can actually run 2 cards at once. forgive me im not a super computer guy

Solution
The best graphics card you could pair with that system would be a gtx 1060 6gb/RX 580 8gb. Anything more would be held back by the 6 year old system. If that is too expensive (shouldn't be especially used) other viable alternatives would be:
GTX 980 4gb
GTX 970
RX 470 8gb
GTX 1060 3gb
GTX 1050 ti 4gb
Here's a list of available cards within your price range:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#X=9851,15472&P=4294967296,51539607552

I sorted by minimum 4gb vram and your budget range, however Final Fantasy 14 only needs 768mb. My suggestion based on your max budget would be the RX 570 8gb. The vram is way overkill for that game, but will give you extra just in case you'd like to play another game one day.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

boivinator

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
about to purchase the rx 570 8gb from newegg. i know you said its overkill for final fantasy but would be good if i wanted to play another game in future. currently i only use pc on mmorpg games. so in future you talking camelot unchained and pantheon rise of the fallen. probably amazons lord of the ring online game they are making. in that case is this the card i should get with my current pc? or would it be time to upgrade entire pc in future? right now i have i5-3570k with xfx pro 750w power, z77 extreme4 like i said, and i believe i have 8gb ram i forget. ssd of course

cause my only thing is if i should upgrade to new computer in a couple years, maybe i should just get a cheaper video card now and then build a $1500 pc in lets say 3 years
That's a solid plan. One of the games you listed above wouldn't even be demanding on any of the graphics cards in my link above. However if there are titles that aren't released yet, you may have to do a full system upgrade.

boivinator

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
the reason im replacing video card is because when i turn on my computer now sometimes, the screen goes like...how to explain. i guess how your old nintendo NES system would look when the graphics were all messed it. it comes and goes but i figured the video card is fried

the reason im replacing video card is because when i turn on my computer now sometimes, the screen goes like...how to explain. i guess how your old nintendo NES system would look when the graphics were all messed it. it comes and goes but i figured the video card is fried
If you haven't tried upgrading the graphics card drivers (this solves 9 out of 10 graphical issues), try reseating the card and power supply cables to the gpu.

Last edited:

boivinator

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
i updated it. still happening. soon as i turn on my computer i got blue lines running from top to bottom of screen. this is at the star windows normally recovery screen cause i have to manually turn off my computer since it always blacks out and cant do anything