Recommend a monitor for my gtx1080 build

97catintenn

Honorable
Sep 2, 2018
Hi everyone, I just finished my build and now my monitor is out dated.

Ryzen 5 2600x
GTX 1080
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
MSI x470 gaming pro motherboard

I found a Acer Predator XB321HK 4k G Sync Monitor - $550 locally, but the reviews on amazon and newegg look bad. And I'm not sure if I this monitor is the best choice for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB321HK-bmiphz-Widescreen/dp/B01A3N60A2?th=1

I've been using two displays for awhile and like to be able to work with quickbooks on one screen and have other data on the other screen. I'm not sure if I would like a big single monitor setup as much. When gaming, I just turn off the other screen.

I'm not sure what my budget is, because I have no idea on the pricing of these monitors. I'm really behind the times. From what I read so far, I need gsync and 1440 144hz.

Solution

For a computer monitor, 27" is really as big as you want it. While bigger sounds better, you sit much closer to a monitor than you do a TV. So if you get a big monitor, you may have to move your head to see one side to the other, which is not very desirable.

Why you see the 4k panel at 32" is because of pixel density. The pixels per inch is very high for 4k at lower sizes. It is so high that it makes it very hard to read. The text will be very small. But at 32", the pixel density gets better. For 4k, 27" is really the minimum size. A 24" 4k panel will basically...
I own the Predator xb32, and it is a really nice monitor and $550 is a fantastic price. But I dont think I would recommend it as the 1080 is really not enough for 4k. You will have to dial back settings to keep the 60hz or go out and get a 1080ti. If I were you I would look at a 1440p/144hz panel as the 1080 will pair nicely with it.

Here is the Predator xb27 and it will pair nicely with the 1080.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004&cm_re=gaming_monitor-_-24-106-004-_-Product

The Acer Predator XB321HK is a beautiful monitor.
You need to read the reviews and take in consideration the point of view of the reviewer, your expectations and if that applies to you.
Like a review giving 3 starts just because the speakers "aren't loud enough". If someone spend that amount on that type of display and their are complaining about speakers they bought the wrong item. Is common sense that the slimmer the display the smaller the speaker it can house.
Also, you have to take in consideration that out of thousands of displays, some will receive faulty units. It happens.
The only thing I don't like about the display is the stand, which does not have height or pivot adjustments. But if you are using your own VESA mount then that would not be an issue.

For a computer monitor, 27" is really as big as you want it. While bigger sounds better, you sit much closer to a monitor than you do a TV. So if you get a big monitor, you may have to move your head to see one side to the other, which is not very desirable.

Why you see the 4k panel at 32" is because of pixel density. The pixels per inch is very high for 4k at lower sizes. It is so high that it makes it very hard to read. The text will be very small. But at 32", the pixel density gets better. For 4k, 27" is really the minimum size. A 24" 4k panel will basically be useless without a magnifying glass.

But at 1440p, the pixel density is really perfect for a 27" monitor.

As jojesa said, it is really a wonderful monitor. It is one of the best panel's in the world. I will admit, the speakers do suck, but I use a headset and I also have a surround system, so I dont use the speakers.

For me, I would want higher fps so I would not go with the 4k panel and a 1080. I would have a better experience with a 1440p/144hz monitor.

Solution

97catintenn

Honorable
Sep 2, 2018
Thanks for the advice and explanation. I just ordered the Predator xb27. I almost ordered one that looked the same, faster response time, and $100 cheaper. Then I came back to this thread and read about TN vs IPS. The cheaper one was TP.

Which JED70 loves his, I'm sure I would love it too, as it is still a big upgrade from what I'm using now. But I just don't want Dell written on any of my components, lol. I found the predator for sale from acer, at their store on eBay, refurbished for $499 and free shipping.

If you didn't get the 3-year warranty from Acer (eBay) Newegg has it new for the same price. Is the TN one though.