Question Recommend a new 27 inch gaming monitor for me?

Balic Blackthorn

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
Hello.

I was hoping you experienced folks could recommend a few monitor replacement options for me, as my primary display is starting to go bad (black lines showing up, confirmed they don't appear in a screenshot).

-I am looking for a 27 inch monitor that I can mount to the monitor "arm" that my existing display is mounted to.

-This is going to be my primary display.

-I have 2 secondary displays. One is an older Dell LCD monitor (that still works perfectly fine). It's native resolution is the same as my primary display, 1920 x 1080. Its max refresh rate is 75. My secondary "monitor" is a Sony TV, which I frequently stream games to.

-HDR /4k would be nice, but as my other monitors can't do that, I don't know what issues that might cause. I am ok with another 1920 x 1080 if needed.

-My budget is around 500 dollars.

-I want the best I can get for my budget, so long as it won't somehow interfere with the functionality of my existing displays. (I don't know if having one super good display at a much better refresh rate or resolution will cause problems with the other two displays, Especially because the primary display is what gets streamed (via steam link, usually) to the TV).

-My graphics card is a GeForce RTX 4070 Super.

-In case it somehow matters, my CPU is a AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920X 12-Core Processor 3.50 GHz

Any suggestions would be appriciated.

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
I would forgo 4K and buy something 1440p. You're getting the benefits of higher resolution than 1080p without kneecapping your frame rates at 4K. I would recommend something like the Acer Predator XB273U. It's VESA certified for your standard VESA mounts, 170Hz, and 1ms response times. It's also HDR400 certified, but, to be completely frank, it isn't real HDR. If you wanted accurate HDR reproduction you would be looking to spend 200-250 dollars more for something like a QD-OLED.

If you want something more oriented for content consumption with decent gaming features, the AOC Q27G3XMN might be better for your needs. It has a Mini LED VA panel, which, isn't as strong for strictly gaming, but has much better blacks than an IPS panel. It also has much better HDR performance , as it can reach over 1000 nits of brightness in some cases, while the Acer Predator tops out at less than half that.

If you want a top tier gaming monitor, go with the Acer Predator. If you want something more flexible and you're willing to make some tradeoffs for input lag, response time and refresh rate, grab the AOC.

Last edited:

Balic Blackthorn

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
Thank you for your suggestions.

So, if I am understanding correctly, basically the Acer has slightly better response times, but the AOC has a better picture?

Also, I just want to confirm, having my primary monitor at a different resolution than my secondary and TV won't cause any issues when working with 2 screens or streaming to the TV?

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
That is correct. The AOC monitor trades in some gaming performance for better image quality. You can run multiple displays of varying resolutions from your video card. Just ensure you have a DisplayPort connector running directly from the graphics card to the monitor.

Balic Blackthorn

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
That is correct. The AOC monitor trades in some gaming performance for better image quality. You can run multiple displays of varying resolutions from your video card. Just ensure you have a DisplayPort connector running directly from the graphics card to the monitor.

Primary and TV are connected via Display Port. Secondary is connected via HDMI cable (it doesn't have a DP connecter) if that matters.

I'm surprised the first monitor costs so much more than the second, if the second actually has a better picture. Are the response time differences even noticeable generally? (When you say response time, I assume you mean from the time you hit a button to the time you see the results on screen).

Apologies; I'm a noob when it comes to analyzing displays in-depth.

EDIT: Also, one other question. What kind of FPS drop in games, if any, would I be looking at going from the 1920 x 1080 I have now to the 1440p of the monitors you suggest? Taking my video card into account, if possible.

Last edited:

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
They have two separate listings on Amazon so they are definitely two distinct models. The Q27G4XN does not say anything about a Mini LED display, unlike the other model. If your budget was 500 bucks and the original AOC monitor I recommended was 200 less than that, I would stick with the original link. If you're willing to take a chance on it being a different panel, you could go with the cheaper version you sent me.

Balic Blackthorn

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
This SHOULD be the last time I bother you, and I thank you for your time.

Primary and TV are connected via Display Port. Secondary is connected via HDMI cable (it doesn't have a DP connecter) if that matters.

I'm surprised the first monitor costs so much more than the second, if the second actually has a better picture. Are the response time differences even noticeable generally? (When you say response time, I assume you mean from the time you hit a button to the time you see the results on screen).

Apologies; I'm a noob when it comes to analyzing displays in-depth.

EDIT: Also, one other question. What kind of FPS drop in games, if any, would I be looking at going from the 1920 x 1080 I have now to the 1440p of the monitors you suggest? Taking my video card into account, if possible.

EDIT 2: Did you actually see the q27g3xmn on Amazon somewhere? The only reason I even looked at the Q27G4XN was because I couldn't find the other one on Amazon, so if they happened to be identical I was gonna take advantage of next day shipping lol.

Last edited:

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
I can confirm they are in fact different displays. You'll notice following this link there is an option for "27" Mini-LED QHD". That is the one you want. I'm not sure which monitor you are referring to when talking about picture quality, but I can guarantee the Mini-LED panel (the more expensive $268.00 one) will look better than the cheaper alternative.

The RTX 4070 is intended for 1440p at 60FPS with current generation games. If you play older stuff, or turn the graphics down on modern generation releases, you will be just fine at that resolution. Especially with the increased horsepower of the 4070 Super, you needn't worry about performance issues.