[SOLVED] Recommend a partition manager?

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
I have been using the free version of AOMEI Partition Assistant and I am considering upgrading to the Pro/Paid version but before I do, I was wondering if there are better options out there? I am looking for a full featured swiss army knife partition manager that can manage/move/duplicate Windows and non-Windows partitions and can expand/contract partitions etc...
An example is a task I am trying to do right now in fact:
I have a micro SD card with the bootable partition non-Windows (Linux partition I believe), then a FAT32 partition for data. This card is full. I have a second card which is larger. I want to duplicate both partitions from the first card to the larger card, but I want to move the FAT32 partition all the way to the end so that I can expand the Linux partition on the second card (giving more space in the non-Windows partition). I know that most tools can already expand the second partition, but I haven't found any that can do it for the first.
This is just an example, I am honestly looking for a general-purpose manager.

Solution
I too suggest using a bootable one.

I like the mentioned MiniTool Partition Wizard, but the bootable version. I believe currently only the pay versions offer that particular feature plus it's now bundled with Avast. It's based on Linux

I also use the olde bootable Norton Ghost for this, based on FreeDOS for situations when the Linux-based ones won't boot, but you have to be familiar with DOS drivers for network, USB and ATAPI.
I have been using the free version of AOMEI Partition Assistant and I am considering upgrading to the Pro/Paid version but before I do, I was wondering if there are better options out there? I am looking for a full featured swiss army knife partition manager that can manage/move/duplicate Windows and non-Windows partitions and can expand/contract partitions etc...
An example is a task I am trying to do right now in fact:
I have a micro SD card with the bootable partition non-Windows (Linux partition I believe), then a FAT32 partition for data. This card is full. I have a second card which is larger. I want to duplicate both partitions from the first card to the larger card, but I want to move the FAT32 partition all the way to the end so that I can expand the Linux partition on the second card (giving more space in the non-Windows partition). I know that most tools can already expand the second partition, but I haven't found any that can do it for the first.
Check out 'partition wizard'.
See if that does what you want.

I like the mentioned MiniTool Partition Wizard, but the bootable version. I believe currently only the pay versions offer that particular feature plus it's now bundled with Avast. It's based on Linux

I also use the olde bootable Norton Ghost for this, based on FreeDOS for situations when the Linux-based ones won't boot, but you have to be familiar with DOS drivers for network, USB and ATAPI.

Solution

Yup....I keep a copy of PW 9.1 in a draw.
I can boot it up and then go fuss/make a mess out of the partitions on any disk.

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
Yup....I keep a copy of PW 9.1 in a draw.
I can boot it up and then go fuss/make a mess out of the partitions on any disk.
Thanks, I think this might be the one, the only thing I don't like about it is the subscription model. It's an annual subscription which is exactly how I don't want to buy a tool I only occasionally use :(
To clarify, this tool does recognize mixed partitions from Linux and Windows on one Sd card? This is the reason I didn't just use the partition managers that come with either Linux and/or Windows because I wasn't sure if the OS would screw up the partition of the other OS it doesn't recognize.

There is no app that can expand the first partition when there is a second one because that is physically impossible.
You have to move the second partition to the end of the disk and resize it if necessary, the first (or any) partition can only be expanded into unallocated space that is directly next to it.

This is the reason I didn't just use the partition managers that come with either Linux and/or Windows because I wasn't sure if the OS would screw up the partition of the other OS it doesn't recognize.
If you do a proper sector to sector clone (like dd on linux) the OS doesn't even see partitions and just makes a 100% identical copy, where you then have to move/expand the partitions yourself to anything you like.

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
There is no app that can expand the first partition when there is a second one because that is physically impossible.
You have to move the second partition to the end of the disk and resize it if necessary, the first (or any) partition can only be expanded into unallocated space that is directly next to it.
Right this is exactly what I want to do, looking for the tool to do it :) The cloning step is already done, so on my sd card its part 1 linux, part 2 windows, and huge unallocated space. I want to move part 2 to the end and expand part 1 as you mentioned.

Thanks, I think this might be the one, the only thing I don't like about it is the subscription model. It's an annual subscription which is exactly how I don't want to buy a tool I only occasionally use :(
To clarify, this tool does recognize mixed partitions from Linux and Windows on one Sd card? This is the reason I didn't just use the partition managers that come with either Linux and/or Windows because I wasn't sure if the OS would screw up the partition of the other OS it doesn't recognize.
Try the free version see if it will do what you want.
No subscriptions.