[SOLVED] Recommend a Power Supply

tunghaichuan

Reputable
May 13, 2019
I'm looking for a replacement power supply for the first build that I did.

Gigabyte motherboard
i7 860 cpu
16GB DDR3 ram
Samsung SSD
Gigabyte 750 ti
Corsair Spec 02 case

Right now it's got a 750W Rosewill power supply, non-modular, but I'd like to replace ti with a semi or modular PS. The cable management is horrible with the Rosewill supply.

I figure I need at least a 550W power supply, but it also has to have a relatively flat CPU cable due to a quirk in the Corsair case.

I was thinking of a Seasonic Gold 550W or maybe even 650W gold.

Any other recommendations?

It's not my main system, but want to keep it around for nostalgia as it was my first build.

Thanks.

Solution
Your thoughts on that specific are 550W are good ones. Really, a CX 450 would be fine with this kind of build. The system isn't using a lot of power, and as a secondary system, it's not likely it's being worked to death.

tunghaichuan

Reputable
May 13, 2019
Thanks for your reply,.

And thanks for confirming about the Seasonic PS.

Best Buy is running a sale, and it was actually cheaper to get the Seasonic than a Corsair CX 450.

Is it kosher to post links here to sales?

I actually got two Seasonic power supplies from Best Buy. The other is going to go in my XP gaming rig as detailed in this thread:

Baranovich

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
Any of the Corsairs, and go with the maximum wattage you can afford and then put some money into it you can't afford. DON'T go cheap or get JUST enough power. You're building something that cost you over a thousand dollars, maybe two. It's not worth saving a $100 or $150 to have a smaller or cheaper brand power supply that burns out or destroys your other components. Get MORE power than you need.

I can't stand it when gaming commercial gaming PC makers budget out how much power you'll need and put a psu in that just covers everything. Why "just cover" everything? Why budget power so tightly between components? Cover everything and then some. That way if you do want to upgrade later on you'll already have the power to do it. If you need a minimum of 650 or 750 watts, get 1200. No, really do it.

The HX1200. Seriously. Or a used AX1200 even.

Corsair psus will outlast the rest of the components in your PC!

I have an older AX1200 psu from 2012 and the thing still runs like a beast going on nearly ten years.

Last edited:

tunghaichuan

Reputable
May 13, 2019
Any of the Corsairs, and go with the maximum wattage you can afford and then put some money into it you can't afford. DON'T go cheap or get JUST enough power. You're building something that cost you over a thousand dollars, maybe two. It's not worth saving a $100 or $150 to have a smaller or cheaper brand power supply that burns out or destroys your other components. Get MORE power than you need.

I can't stand it when gaming commercial gaming PC makers budget out how much power you'll need and put a psu in that just covers everything. Why "just cover" everything? Why budget power so tightly between components? Cover everything and then some. That way if you do want to upgrade later on you'll already have the power to do it. If you need a minimum of 650 or 750 watts, get 1200. No, really do it.

The HX1200 or AX1600. Seriously.

Corsair psus will outlast the rest of the components in your PC!

I have an AX1200 psu from 2012 and the thing still runs like a beast going on nearly ten years.

Thanks for your reply. I purchased two Seasonic 550W power supplies for the computers in question. Neither of those old coputers cost me $1000, I doubt either one is worth more than $100, if that. I just wanted something inexpensive and reliable to keep those old machines going.

My main computer does have a Corsair 750W titanium-rated PSU. I'm only using a Ryzen 7 2700 cpu and a 1660 ti gpu. When I asked here on these forums about two years ago, the advice that I got was that 750W was too much wattage for the build. I was going to upgrade my GPU, but the GPU market is in the toilet right now.