[SOLVED] Recommend a PSU for these components

APoorGamer

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
I'm planning on building a system for gaming/streaming under $1000. Was planning on going with a MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC motherboard, an Intel Core i9-9900K cpu, and a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L cooler. I already have an RX580 8gb I plan on using, but the only PSU I have is an older corsair TX850W. I was told that it wouldn't work with the z390 mb. Could someone more knowledgeable than myself recommend one. Preferably cheap. I don't plan any future upgrades so something just to run these components would be fine. Thank you for any advice.

Solution
I was told that the MPG z390 needed an additional 4-pin ATX power connector that my PSU doesn't have. After adding these parts in pcpartpicker, it says the same thing. "The MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair TX 850 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it." The PSU is an older model, not sure how old and it's in a system at the moment so not sure if I will be able to see a date . And thank you for the suggestion on the cooler...

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
I'm planning on building a system for gaming/streaming under $1000. Was planning on going with a MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC motherboard, an Intel Core i9-9900K cpu, and a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L cooler. I already have an RX580 8gb I plan on using, but the only PSU I have is an older corsair TX850W. I was told that it wouldn't work with the z390 mb. Could someone more knowledgeable than myself recommend one. Preferably cheap. I don't plan any future upgrades so something just to run these components would be fine. Thank you for any advice.
Who told you that it wouldnt work?
An 850w psu would definitely work on your pc.
Just used a psu calculator to know what the psu requirement is.

APoorGamer

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
I was told that the MPG z390 needed an additional 4-pin ATX power connector that my PSU doesn't have. After adding these parts in pcpartpicker, it says the same thing. "The MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair TX 850 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it." The PSU is an older model, not sure how old and it's in a system at the moment so not sure if I will be able to see a date . And thank you for the suggestion on the cooler rickypicky. I don't plan on overclocking, but if I can stay under my $1000 budget, I might upgrade on that cooler. Thank you for the reply guy's, it is much appreciated.

I was told that the MPG z390 needed an additional 4-pin ATX power connector that my PSU doesn't have. After adding these parts in pcpartpicker, it says the same thing. "The MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair TX 850 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it." The PSU is an older model, not sure how old and it's in a system at the moment so not sure if I will be able to see a date . And thank you for the suggestion on the cooler rickypicky. I don't plan on overclocking, but if I can stay under my $1000 budget, I might upgrade on that cooler. Thank you for the reply guy's, it is much appreciated.
Don't worry about the additional 4-pin ATX power connector. You really don't need it. As it states, it's for extreme overclocking. My Gigabyte board has the same 'additional 4-pin ATX power connector' and I've never used it. Most people that overclock won't use it either.

Reactions: APoorGamer
Solution