Recommend good PICTURE QUALITY gaming 24-27" monitor with GTX970

Stopsign32v

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014
I will be using this PC for photo editing and also gaming. I have read more reviews today than I care to count and finally I am no closer to a solution, so I turn to advice.

The build is typical 8gb RAM, Asus Strix GTX970, and 4790k.

Up until today I was sold on the Asus VG248QE because of the reviews about the refresh rate. However after searching more into it I was horrified to read bad reviews on "washed out colors". Now I know not everything you read on the internet is true and all that but I'm also a believer in if you see enough smoke there is a fire.

The gaming I'm mostly into is Total War, Elder Scrolls, some FPS, SimCity, etc...

I don't care too much about online FPS where refresh rate is a must and even if I die a few times because of it I will not die in real life. I have been playing COD and BF4 on X360 multiplayer so I'm used to crap.

What I'm wanting is a great monitor that has a beautiful picture but will also play games very well. I read about custom settings in the VG248QE and if you go into INVIDIA console and all this the monitor ALMOST looks good. But honestly I'm wondering if there is a better option for my needs...

NoAIm1337

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
For me it's hands down Acer GN246HL on the gaming monitor.
24in - 1920x1080
100,000,000:1 ratio
1ms response time
AND it's a 144Hz.

Its best for all the qualities in a gaming monitor.
The VG248QE was my second option as well.
If you are looking for something a little less expensive my other choice would be the Samsung C350. It's only a 21.5in but the picture is really nice still with the gaming capabilities plus is has several different types of data inputs.

I recently went monitor shopping for both my monitors. i chose the GN246HL for my gaming one.
My production monitor i went with a Dell Ultrasharp 27in. which has 1920x1200 resolution. Having that little extra resolution allows me to view full 1080p even in windowed mode and it's an IPS monitor.

NoAIm1337

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
Honestly, I didn't want the built in speakers on the VG248QE. I have my own sound through 7.1 and gaming headset.

The contrast ratio is 20,000,000 more and 30$ cheaper, that's what sealed the deal for me.

Probably not much publicity because its Acer lol, but i haven't had an issue with it at all. Some people complained that the input isnt digital, but honestly, digital means that it will be pushing sound along with video, and being a gamer i don't want that anyway.

Here is a Link comparing them side by side.