[SOLVED] Recommend graphics card for a basic PC ?

kneidels

Honorable
Dec 13, 2015
We have a PC setup for the kids -
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz
  • 8 GB RAM - DDR3
  • Win 10.
No graphics card.

My son plays a lot of War Thunder, but he needs to play at the lowest quality of everything for it work, and a recret update basically prevents it from working at all.
Will buying an entry level card help at all? will adding another 8GB RAM help?

All advice appreciated.
Haven't been to the forum for ages, hope this request is in order.

Solution
if the problem with the game running is the graphics can't be displayed, then yes the new GPU will fix the issue. if the issue is not enough ram or cpu power or other issue, then no it won't fix it.

you need to fully identify the issue before trying to fix it. most likely it is gpu related as the minimum system requirements are met except for gpu. a gt 1030 is very basic entry level but still better than what is included with the cpu. if it's all you can get, then go for it. if you can do better within your budget, then i'd recommend going better.

you'd need to tell us what country you are in, the budget in your money and a link or 2 to places you can actually shop at for us to offer any alternatives. it does no good to talk about...

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
W
We have a PC setup for the kids -
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz
  • 8 GB RAM - DDR3
  • Win 10.
No graphics card.

My son plays a lot of War Thunder, but he needs to play at the lowest quality of everything for it work, and a recret update basically prevents it from working at all.
Will buying an entry level card help at all? will adding another 8GB RAM help?

All advice appreciated.
Haven't been to the forum for ages, hope this request is in order.
what's your budget?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if the problem with the game running is the graphics can't be displayed, then yes the new GPU will fix the issue. if the issue is not enough ram or cpu power or other issue, then no it won't fix it.

you need to fully identify the issue before trying to fix it. most likely it is gpu related as the minimum system requirements are met except for gpu. a gt 1030 is very basic entry level but still better than what is included with the cpu. if it's all you can get, then go for it. if you can do better within your budget, then i'd recommend going better.

you'd need to tell us what country you are in, the budget in your money and a link or 2 to places you can actually shop at for us to offer any alternatives. it does no good to talk about what can be had in the US if it is not available to you where you live.

Solution

kneidels

Honorable
Dec 13, 2015

you'd need to tell us what country you are in, the budget in your money and a link or 2 to places you can actually shop at for us to offer any alternatives. it does no good to talk about what can be had in the US if it is not available to you where you live.

Thanks. Am located in Israel. This is probably the best place to buy from, pricewise: https://ksp.co.il/web/cat/35 The prices you see (on the RIGHT side of each products box) is in Shekels (which is very roughly 3 Shekels to the USD).
Budget is up to 800 Shekels = around 300 USD.

How would I identify the issue, without buying and installing - with trial and error?
TIA

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
unfortunately testing it out would simply be adding a gpu and see if it works. if not, then ram and so on. but looking at the requirements the gpu seems most likely. everything else in the system should be good enough.

looking at the shopping site (i had to set my vpn to isreal by the way as it blocked my US ip. lol) that 1030 is the best you can do for the budget. if you can get a little bit extra for one of the gtx 1650 cards just under 1000 shekels, it would literally be almost 4 times the performance. not bad for 2 times the price of that 1030!! at the lower end of the prices the 1650 is about the best bang for the buck from that site :)

but if the 1030 is all you can afford, then it should be good enough to play the game. the minimum is a gtx 660 which is similar to the much newer 1030. keep in mind though that you are still at the very minimum to play the game with a 1030

Last edited:
Reactions: kneidels

kneidels

Honorable
Dec 13, 2015
unfortunately testing it out would simply be adding a gpu and see if it works. if not, then ram and so on. but looking at the requirements the gpu seems most likely. everything else in the system should be good enough.

looking at the shopping site (i had to set my vpn to isreal by the way as it blocked my US ip. lol) that 1030 is the best you can do for the budget. if you can get a little bit extra for one of the gtx 1650 cards just under 1000 shekels, it would literally be almost 4 times the performance. not bad for 2 times the price of that 1030!! at the lower end of the prices the 1650 is about the best bang for the buck from that site :)

but if the 1030 is all you can afford, then it should be good enough to play the game. the minimum is a gtx 660 which is similar to the much newer 1030. keep in mind though that you are still at the very minimum to play the game with a 1030
Thanks very much for your time and effort!

Apr 8, 2022
not sure about 1030 as it seems a bit weak but another 8 GB should make a slight difference plus you will unlock dual channel too but yea i checked the website and 1030 seems like a fair deal and as Math Geek said 1650 is clearly far better, so i would wait it out a bit more get my funds straight and go for that instead