Recommend me a GPU please.

jwhiteney

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
Hello,

I am looking to buy a new card. My current card (GTX960) will go into my 2nd PC (i5-6600k).

The 960 has been fine for me since I got it a few years ago, and don't absolutely have to have all settings maxed out but wouldn't mind being able to up the settings a bit from what I have them now (mostly low and medium). I only play on 1080p 60hz... dont plan on going 1440p or 4k. I have been considering getting a 1080p 144hz monitor though, but have been for a couple years, so who knows if that will happen.

I would like this card to last me a few years (again don't need maxed out settings but would like to maintain decent FPS). I am also not a huge gamer, Ill play a lot for a few months then lose interest for a bit.

The game I play mostly now is PUBG. But maybe if I had a better GPU i would enjoy gaming more and play more games. I have skyrim, witcher 3 and a few other games that seems quite sluggish with the 960, but i may try again with a new card.

my two top contenders are the 1060 6GB ($370CAD) or the 1070 ($575CAD). I am trying to decide if i should get the 1070 or if it would be better to get the 1060 and then in a few years, put the money saved towards the 1160 or 2060? (whatever they are going to call it)

My system specs are:
i7-4790k
16GB RAM
evo 850
650W seasonic focus

Thanks

Well a GTX 1060 is totally fine for 1080p but the GTX 1070 will last you longer and the GTX 1080 is complete overkill as its a 1440p monster.

You don't need 144hz if your a casual gamer, 60hz is a way more of a stable refresh rate as some games have issues with frames rates above 60hz due to their game engine and the variable frame rate would mean you'd need Gsync to avoid the tearing.

I have 144hz but i lock surprisingly most games down to 60fps as otherwise they don't run optimally such as engine lighting and physics issues.

jwhiteney

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016

Oh really? I thought 1060 6GB was a pretty good upgrade over the 960 after looking at some benchmarks. Ill take another look.

I am definitely a casual gamer but do like my games to run smoothly when i do play (i would pick constant 60fps over pretty visuals for sure).

The GTX1070 would last me longer... but just wondering if it is overkill for me right now or if its really worth getting. If the 1060 would do everything i need for the next 3 years at 1080p and 60hz... then i would rather do that then buy another ##60 card when i feel i need it. Since I assume even the next ##60 card will beat the 1070.

jwhiteney

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016

Oh really? I thought 1060 6GB was a pretty good upgrade over the 960 after looking at some benchmarks. Ill take another look.

I am definitely a casual gamer but do like my games to run smoothly when i do play (i would pick constant 60fps over pretty visuals for sure).

The GTX1070 would last me longer... but just wondering if it is overkill for me right now or if its really worth getting. If the 1060 would do everything i need for the next 3 years at 1080p and 60hz... then i would rather do that then buy another ##60 card when i feel i need it. Since I assume even the next ##60 card will beat the 1070.

jwhiteney

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016

When I look for a gpu that is a few thousand I’ll look into that one lol.

For now, 1060 and 1070 are my main considerations and I’m still undecided. I was looking at several side by side video comparisons and it seems like the 1060 can maintain 60fps on most games even at ultra... so if I need to dumb down some settings for future games to maintain that 60fps I think I’m okay with that. Just hoping it will last me a few years.

Ye i think when you get to the point when you have to go to medium or lower to maintain at least 1080p 60fps its time for a new card. I'd still recommend the GTX 1070 as it will last longer and really a GPU can just be switched between system why a new system requires a new CPU, MOBO and RAM while a GPU can be thrown into any board as long as the CPU can handle it.

The 1060 6GB is a big improvement over the 960. It's almost double the performance in some cases! Those game benchmarks don't lie :D

As you are gaming on a 60Hz display and don't mind turning a few settings down, a 1060 will still last pretty well for the majority of games.

Unless you want to consider the AMD route (?), I'd say get either the 1060 6GB or a 1070 right now in November 2017.

The 1070 is going to give you a lot more longevity of course and is therefore the safest bet.

jwhiteney

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
Thanks all. I went with the 1060 MSI Gaming X 6GB. Felt like it was the best option for me right now. Maybe ill get one of the bigger cards on the next refresh.

I am quite impressed with this card and seems like it will do me fine for the next while.

I did seem to get unlucky with the OCing ability of it though. Anymore than 120+ (2037MHz boost according to afterburner) on the core clock and valley crashes. GPU stays steady at 60 degrees at this overclock. Although i didn't even think I would be OCing when i initially bought it, just saw afterburner and gave it a shot.

There is also a little bit of coil whine, which doesn't really bother me, as long as the coil whine doesn't indicate a GPU that is going to fail prematurely. (from my reading, it seems like it is just an annoyance really)