[SOLVED] Recommend me a solid PSU thats quiet & good for overclocking

jase888

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2012
THis is my build and it recokons aroudn 470Wattage is needed but I do plan on overclocking later down the lines and maybe more RGB fans.

Intel Core i7-10600k
MSI z490 Gmaing Plus Motherboard
32GB DDR4 RAM 3200Mhz (2x16GB)
NVIDIA 2070 Super
1 x M2 NVMe 2TB SSD
1 x SATA 1TB SSD

I plan on overclocking CPU, GPU & RAM at some stage in the future so want to have a power supply thats suitable for this. Is 650w enough or should I consider 750W.

I had thought about the Corsair TX750M because it turns the fans off when not udner heavy loads but is this suitable for gaming PC?

Solution
The wattage you need is mainly determined by your graphics card.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
The chart suggests 520w.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
I would think 650w or 750w would allow for a upgrade to the top cards available today.
I like the seasonic focus gold rated units.
They are very quiet. They warn you to not be alarmed if the fan does not spin.
Here is the seasonic focus GM gold for $99...
THis is my build and it recokons aroudn 470Wattage is needed but I do plan on overclocking later down the lines and maybe more RGB fans.

Intel Core i7-10600k
MSI z490 Gmaing Plus Motherboard
32GB DDR4 RAM 3200Mhz (2x16GB)
NVIDIA 2070 Super
1 x M2 NVMe 2TB SSD
1 x SATA 1TB SSD

I plan on overclocking CPU, GPU & RAM at some stage in the future so want to have a power supply thats suitable for this. Is 650w enough or should I consider 750W.

I had thought about the Corsair TX750M because it turns the fans off when not udner heavy loads but is this suitable for gaming PC?

- Have you already built this?
-What is your monitor resolution and refresh rate?

Corsair RM750x would be my recommendation for your system giving room to OC and upgrade.

Last edited:

jase888

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2012
- Have you already built this?
-What is your monitor resolution and refresh rate?

Corsair RM750x would be my recommendation for your system giving room to OC and upgrade.

No not yet just planning stage. I feel you might be going to suggets the i5-10600k? Reason I'm not going down that route is trying to future proof system and more cores may be better in games in few years? I had the 2600k since 2011 and only overclocked it a few years ago, so its done me well. Feel if I go with the 10700k same will happen again.

Ok il looking into that PSU bit pricier but guess whats an extra £20 :eek:.

The wattage you need is mainly determined by your graphics card.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
The chart suggests 520w.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
I would think 650w or 750w would allow for a upgrade to the top cards available today.
I like the seasonic focus gold rated units.
They are very quiet. They warn you to not be alarmed if the fan does not spin.
Here is the seasonic focus GM gold for $99:
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-650-gold-ssr-650fm-650w/p/N82E16817151202?&quicklink=true
The 750w unit is only $10 more.

You have to find one where you shop.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS