Recommend memory for a Sabertooth Z77 MoBo

Ilnez

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I am planning on buying the Asus Sabertooth Z77 MoBo for my new build (mainly because of SSD hard drive caching) and I am wondering what RAM and SSD I should put in.

In my mind I don't see any equally viable alternative to Crucial in therms of the high-quality SSD market. I plan on getting this:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60445&promoid=1261

I'll install my OS on it and use the rest as an HDD cache.

When it comes to RAM I am just unsure. I keep hearing that G-Skill is very good but I don't have any experience with anything other than Corsair.

Here's my MoBo for reference:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=69881&promoid=1205

Thanks!

The Crucial M4, Samsung 830, and Intel 320/520 series are among the best choices -- Corsair's & OCZ aren't bad either. You only 'think' you want to SSD Cache, SSD Caching tears-up an SSD so I'd look for an over provisioned SSD.

Lately I must admit I've fallen out of love with G.SKILL because in an effort to increase profitability they've on many kits chosen cheaper IC's.

RAM I really like the new Corsair Dominator Platinum series e.g. CMD8GX3M2A1600C9; otherwise either the CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 or the CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 is on sale if you need 16GB (4x4GB).

subasteve5800

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
G.Skill is my preferred choice for memory. Mushkin and Corsair also make good kits. I would just pick up the cheapest 1600mhz kit in whatever size you want from one of those 3 manufacturers.

You made a good choice on the SSD. The M4 is quick, reliable, and cheap. The Samsung 830 series is also a good choice, if you can find them for less.

One thing worth mentioning, I'm not sure SSD Caching works the way you think it does. IIRC, the entire SSD must be dedicated to caching (although it may be possible to partition the SSD and have it work that way. I've never really looked into it tho) so you wouldn't be able to install your OS and then use the rest of the SSD for caching. I think a better option would be to just use the SSD as a boot drive. Install your OS and any programs you use regularly on the SSD, and leave you HDD for data and less often used programs.

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Unless your motherboard supports quad channel memory dont buy 4 sticks of ram...

You want 2 x 8 for 16gb or 2 x 4 for 8 gb if you cant afford 16. That board only supports dual channel memory, so there is no point in using all 4 slots unless your putting 32gb or ram in it.

9-9-9-1600 G Skill ripjaw will be fine.

Huh?! You still have Dual Channel with either 2x_GB or 4x_GB. You can have either one or two DIMMs per Channel. The 8G/stick kits are considerably more problematic in non-ECC and UDIMM.

I still have Quad Channel with 8x_GB.

CPU-z-RAM-CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G.jpg

Very ... I mean very negligible with DDR3. The problems with 8GB/stick density FAR out weigh the 4x4GB so called loaded DIMMs.

Bottom-line, if you Game then 8GB is fine. IF you need more 16GB 4x4GB is the most stable option and 4x8GB if you do a lot of video -- but for those folks get LGA 2011 and a SB-E CPU or Xeon 8-core or MP (dual 8-core) with RDIMM memory.

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

I am intrested in hearing some mover views on this. I so agree 2 x 4gb is that sweet spot, but I need to jump to 16gb because I dabble in virtual machines. Using linux has helped, but I still want that saftey barrier since i disabled page filing from my ssd.