[SOLVED] Recommend my next upgrade?

Apr 8, 2020
CPU: i7 4770K @ 3.5ghz
GPU: RTX 2060
RAM: Patriot 16gb ddr3 1600Mhz
Mobo: Asustek z87-k
Main display: Asus rog strix 27inch 144hz 1ms 1080p
SSD: 250GB Samsung 860 EVO and a 500GB Samsung 860 EVO

I get decent performance with this PC. The CPU and GPU are newer. Mobo i have had for like 7 years. Possibly looking to upgrade things in the coming months.
I play CSGO, PUBG, Overwatch, GTA V, Witcher 3 mainly.
What would you recommend my first steps be??

Solution
For those games, unless the developers really f"#$ things up I don't think you well get much from upgrading (unless you feel theres not enough FPS).

The most demanding game from all those is The Witcher 3 and your current hardware is enough to run it smoothly.
Overwatch and CSGO are a joke on system requirements (unless you feel the FPS youre getting aren't enough to keep you competitive).
As for PUBG and GTA V (specially GTA V) those should run very, very good with your current system.

As was pointed out already the main advantage for those games will come from upgrading the CPU+Motherboard+RAM, this should be your next step, a new (dead if you stick with intel, but new platform). If you really wana stay with intel (until new launch)...
Apr 6, 2020
Hello BrotherFlow,

My first recommendation is that you upgrade your mobo to a better one in order to put a newer CPU, like an i7-8700K, the GPU's good, upgrade your RAM to DDR4 instead of DDR3 and everything else is good.

Apr 8, 2020
Hello BrotherFlow,

My first recommendation is that you upgrade your mobo to a better one in order to put a newer CPU, like an i7-8700K, the GPU's good, upgrade your RAM to DDR4 instead of DDR3 and everything else is good.

Further down the line i would love to get an 8700K (once my budget allows for it). Do you think upgrading mobo and ram to ddr4 now would net me anything? or would you say that is more of a future proofing move for a better cpu one day?

Apr 6, 2020
Further down the line i would love to get an 8700K (once my budget allows for it). Do you think upgrading mobo and ram to ddr4 now would net me anything? or would you say that is more of a future proofing move for a better cpu one day?

No, do not upgrade your motherboard right now, as it will not offer anything better. Once you're ready to upgrade the CPU, then you can do it.

For those games, unless the developers really f"#$ things up I don't think you well get much from upgrading (unless you feel theres not enough FPS).

The most demanding game from all those is The Witcher 3 and your current hardware is enough to run it smoothly.
Overwatch and CSGO are a joke on system requirements (unless you feel the FPS youre getting aren't enough to keep you competitive).
As for PUBG and GTA V (specially GTA V) those should run very, very good with your current system.

As was pointed out already the main advantage for those games will come from upgrading the CPU+Motherboard+RAM, this should be your next step, a new (dead if you stick with intel, but new platform). If you really wana stay with intel (until new launch) the i7-8700K or 9700K should be awesome for your RTX 2060 (and for whatever GPU you may upgrade later on).

In my particular case I wouldn't buy intel right now, but everyone has thier own likes.

If the question involved some other type of games like SOTR, BF5, GOW 5, RDR 2, STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order, Hitman 2, then the advice will be quite diferent.

Cheers

Solution
Apr 8, 2020

As was pointed out already the main advantage for those games will come from upgrading the CPU+Motherboard+RAM, this should be your next step, a new (dead if you stick with intel, but new platform). If you really wana stay with intel (until new launch) the i7-8700K or 9700K should be awesome for your RTX 2060 (and for whatever GPU you may upgrade later on).

In my particular case I wouldn't buy intel right now, but everyone has thier own likes.

If the question involved some other type of games like SOTR, BF5, GOW 5, RDR 2, STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order, Hitman 2, then the advice will be quite diferent.

Cheers

Slightly off topic but you brought up GTA V running very well. So i play a lot of it and for some reason my CPU sits at like 50% usage and my GPU at 1-2% while in game (this is the only game it happens in, well this and COD but COD sucks on PC for me, always has). Settings on ultra and high, with like 60-70 FPS and a low of 55 FPS. Feel like i should get more FPS, nothing crazy but better, ya know? Game runs fine but it has always been in the back of my head when i play it.

Slightly off topic but you brought up GTA V running very well. So i play a lot of it and for some reason my CPU sits at like 50% usage and my GPU at 1-2% while in game (this is the only game it happens in, well this and COD but COD sucks on PC for me, always has). Settings on ultra and high, with like 60-70 FPS and a low of 55 FPS. Feel like i should get more FPS, nothing crazy but better, ya know? Game runs fine but it has always been in the back of my head when i play it.

If the game feel smooth, and you don't see any frame drops or stuttering, maybe is just some wrong usage readings?

Do you use MSI Afterburner OSD to see CPU/GPU and Avg/Low FPS usage?, perhaps it needs an update?