Question Recommend: Panel $200 (used/refurb) 24" 144Hz 1080p freesync

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
Windows 8.1 64 on SSD
GeForce GTX 1050ti 4GB not overclocked and won't be.
Intel i7-4790K (Not overclocked and won't be)
16 GB RAM (2 sticks vengeance ddr3)
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z97-HD3 LGA 1150 rev 2.0
EVGA supernova 650 Watt G2 80 plus Gold.

I really don't want integrated speakers, but if it has to have speakers I'll disable them. I don't want to worry it could make noise while I'm sleeping or something.

It needs VESA mount.

I only play CSGO for the 144Hz, other than CSGO I might play some 1 player games or multiplayer that don't need much more than the 1050ti I have. But am thinking for some games I might have to lower Hz to get better gameplay and therefore monitor needs Freesync?

Acer GN246HL I can get refurb for around $155 but not sure about the freesync.
https://www.rakuten.com/shop/acer-r...MI1dP8kbG34QIVQoezCh2BkQA3EAYYAiABEgKakPD_BwE
Linked next says "This model doesn't have a DisplayPort. I'm using a DVI-dual link to get 144Hz. No Freesync."
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/5obyiy/144hz_acer_gn246hl_not_freesync_supported/

Last edited:

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
yea it absolutely must have VESA for the custom desk i just built which has a $400 (when new) Humanscale M8 articulating arm.

I'm using a non-vesa adapter right now but I'd rather not because it's not as secure as a true vesa mount.

I can find the monitor myself and I think I should be able to just disable the speakers in settings or open the panel and disconnect them if I want to be really sure, but I'm not sure what I should look for in terms of FreerSync, or should I be looking for G-sync since my card is a GeForce, or it doesn't matter as long it's one of those?

I will probably have to change Refresh Rate Hz depending on what game I'm playing so I think I need the sync thing to avoid tearing.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, you aren't going to find a G-sync monitor in your budget that is for sure. The FPGA module alone is about your budget.

Nvidia does now support most freesync monitors but only through Display Port. So the Acer wouldn't work out all that well.

Setting the refresh rate to 60, 120, or anywhere in between that is comfortable for your system to achieve, then you can simply use V-Sync. You will have to be setting custom resolutions to get the inbetween refresh rates. V-sync does add a little input lag, but so do freesync and g-sync. Not sure anyone has impartially measured freesync on an Nvidia card yet, but it would be interesting to see how it compares to AMD cards and a freesync panel.

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
So, I just need to find a 120 or 144Hz monitor with DP Display Port jack to use FreeSync? My GPU has DP 1.4

"Setting the refresh rate to 60, 120, or anywhere in between that is comfortable for your system to achieve, then you can simply use V-Sync. You will have to be setting custom resolutions to get the inbetween refresh rates."

In other words, if for some reason just quickly selecting 120Hz or 144Hz is causing tearing/lag/etc, I'll have to manually set an optimal Refresh Rate and Resolution? Is there a program or website that confirms how it should be set? I don't think I'll be able to tell unless it's obviously F'd up.
I'll have to watch tutorials how to even do all this FreeSync etc and hopefully don't have to make any more threads, but I just want to make sure I get the right monitor first.

Last edited:

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
this is giving me anxiety lol. should be easy.

some might be saying freesync isn't supported by the "1050ti". but maybe depends on the display port version.

But maybe they're saying in that thread it does support freesync?
EDIT: after searching more 'does 1050ti support freesync' it seems it's Does NOT, but maybe I can use G-Sync 'Compatible'.

I'll up the monitor budget to $200 used if I can get actual G-sync.

All I want to do is play CSGO @ 144Hz or 120Hz (if I get a 120Hz instead of 144).
I know CSGO is not a very demanding game so I don't expect to play more demanding games at 144Hz with this set up, so I guess I need to toggle Hz in between different games or it'll look worse than just using a POS 60Hz?
So the monitor must have some sort of special sync?

My GPU has DP 1.4 says on the box if that matters.

Apparently there's like 9983457 different 1050ti versions.
My box says: 912-v809-2679
It's this exact Dual Fan model:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-912-V8...457225&hash=item287aafdbae:g:rIIAAOSwSv9coC9H

which is different looking than if I select Double Fans from here even though they have the same specs:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814137081

If I sell this GPU for $100, I can get a better one for $200 used would solve this problem?

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Nvidia supporting FreeSync is only a few months old. So there will be many places referencing that it isn't supported.

The monitors still need to support FreeSync even with an Nvidia card. FreeSync is just using an existing feature in the DisplayPort standard called AdaptiveSync, but the scalar in the monitor still has to have the capability. AMD went further and offers FreeSync through HDMI on some monitors. But Nvidia's implementation will only support DisplayPort. Basically anyone who has released a variable refresh rate display will FreeSync certify it.

Nvidia's list of certified FreeSync monitors are guaranteed to work. But most freesync panels with a display port will work with Nvidia cards now.

$200 is not enough to get a G-sync panel. Cheapest one is $300 and everything else is $400 and up. New at least. If you can track down a used G-sync panel, go for it. Even the 'cheap' g-sync options that are worth having are about $450. FreeSync panels are usually about $100 cheaper if not more.

Setting things up for each game shouldn't be too difficult. If you are after ideal frame rates, you just play with the settings until it works. That will depend on your goal. FreeSync and G-sync certainly make it 'easier', but only in one perspective, setting the graphics settings to an acceptable level and just seeing how it does. High frame rates and low input lag you'll want it off completely. Setting the refresh rate on the panel is just changing it in Windows. If you want odd refresh rates like 80hz or something, you do have to make custom resolutions. You can do this in the Nvidia control panel, but there is also software out there, but that is used mostly for overclocking of monitors. Simple thing to do would be to play the game at 144hz, measure the frame rate. If it is always hovering around a certain FPS, you can set a max near that, set the refresh rate to that, then turn on V-sync. That is an alternative to FreeSync or G-sync to get rid of tearing.

Found this one:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-000P-005T4&ignorebbr=1

Might be the cheapest G-sync panel on the market:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009993&ignorebbr=1

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
wait, so you're saying all I need to do is set a custom refresh rate per each game in windows/Nvidia control panel and I wouldn't even need a freesync or G-sync monitor, and that it would actually be better performance too?

If so, I can probably google the best configuration for a system similar to mine and set it to that and be done, instead of trial and error and placebo effect trying to set it perfectly myself.

Also as mentioned there are like 92845 different 1050ti verions. I know ti means 4gb and 1050 is 2gb, but anyway I'm seeing these off-brand china 1050ti cards on eBay new for like $50. If so, can I get double the power of a 1050ti for like $100? And then maybe get a 27" 1440p with my i7-4790k? I doubt it though last I looked into this it would be about a $600 (used) card like 1080 to get 1440p and I don't want to spend on that rn, not upgrade my 4790k.

I'm still not sure about the monitor. I do prefer 24" though since for 1080p it'll look best Vs a 27" is for 1440p or 4K. Although I'm used to a 27" for years.

I was asking for VESA mountable but I have a non VESA adapter but it should be no problem with a 24". Right now I have a 27" in the non VESA mount which claims to hold up to 27" but not this particular one, so I had to attach 2 of the 4 arms which make an X by using only one of the two provided bolt holes which causes the 2 arms to swing freely - sometimes when I move the monitor deeper/closer, it wants to fall out if I'm not careful - but with 24: I can get it clamped nice and tight - if there's a non VESA 24" monitor that is better suited for me than it having to have VESA mount.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Cheap cards from Asia are usually fake. They will take a card, reprogram the vBIOS to display whatever name. If it is too good to be true, it is. Common ones are taking cards a few generations back and flashing them, or taking things with the same GPU, but a very crippled one and using them in place of the real thing. They don't usually make it to the US and Europe markets, but chips that fail get modified and sold as lesser versions. (Actually where 1050Ti/1050 come from as well) When they get enough stock you might get a 3/6 working SM units on a GPU released as a GT1040 available only through OEMs or something. You sometimes see it in the US, like the GTX760 3GB, or the GTX1050 3GB (Really a crippled GTX1060 3GB rather than a crippled GTX1050Ti) Asia has the GTX1060 5GB as another example.

Regardless, don't fall for fake GPUs for sale on the cheap. If they look unbranded, they are knockoffs. Cheap coolers, second run molds for the shrouds, and whatever PCB fab was compatible to make them. They are functional graphics cards, just don't have the performance advertised. They hope people don't notice before it it is too late to return it.

I wasn't really looking at VESA mounts when I looked at those two. I don't fully understand your description of your mounting system, but you can look at images to get a good idea of if it will work.

That work around was for your first monitor selection. You wouldn't be able to use FreeSync without a Display Port. It will work for any monitor though. It works to avoid tearing, but V-sync still creates input lag since the GPU won't push a frame to the monitor except at the beginning of a refresh cycle and won't send runt frames. For example if you set the refresh rate to 80Hz and would only get 70 FPS or so, you might still experience tearing or repeated frames (increasing input lag further). The idea there is to set the refresh rate a little below what you know the GPU can handle so that it will always have a frame ready.

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
I have no clue what to buy.
All I want is to be able to play CSGO at 120 or 144Hz.
I don't know where, but in some settings maybe in NVIDA control panel (when I right click on desktop it shows) or somewhere in Steam maybe, it had like a drop menu and showed CSGO and then might have shown what Hz I can set for it (my monitor is only 60Hz tho), but is that how I bypass buying a v-sync or freeSync monitor? Just set it per game? I can't find it again whatever I saw.

I may buy other games but probably nothing too demanding for my system.

For VESA mount, I was just saying I have a non vesa adapter for my monitor arm, but it might not fit 27", but I want 24" anyway for 1080p and the non VESA adapter will fit all 24"s. Some monitors might have enough adjustment just from that stand that I might just resell this monitor arm and just slide the monitor closer when gaming.

EDIT, nevermind this whole thread I'll just email a bunch of monitor brands and tell them what I'm trying to do and they'll tell me what to buy and how,. thanks

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS