[SOLVED] Recommendation: An HDMI A-B switch

AJAshinoff

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
I'm in a situation where I have two pc's, each with their own monitor, in close proximity, close enough that there is not enough space to add a second monitor to one of the systems. I was thinking that an HDMI A-B switch would do the trick provided the A-B switch would allow for dual monitor access on one of its ports and single monitor access on the other. Toggle port A (PC1 has dual monitors), Toggle B (PC2 has 1 monitor). If there is a device that can do this it would solve my issue by not adding to the already limited space i have.

I could simply remove PC2's monitor and use RDP to access PC2 when needed. Still, I would prefer a hardware solution if there's one to be had. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Solution
Depending on the monitor, and graphics cards, you might be able to use the multiple inputs most monitors have and toggle just the one monitor input. HDMI from one PC and displayport or DVI from another. Saves having the extra cabling and switch.

AJAshinoff

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
Yes, that's pretty much what I've been looking at. I haven't used an A/B switch in years, so I prefer to seek input from those who have so I'm not picking up the incorrect item and/or wasting money. In my environment, knowing myself and those who work with me, perhaps one that manual, no remote, would be a better idea (less to misplace).
Thank you

AJAshinoff

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
I ended up buying the one suggested above. At less than $20, and with manually switching on top, it can't hurt to give it a shot. I'm also considering having my second system go without a monitor, since I use it infrequently, and just using RDP to look into it when I need to.

Thanks to each of you. You've been very helpful in sorting out my thought process.