Recommendation for a good, quiet heatsink and fan?

Al

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:21:18 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

Here is an example of what makes a good, quiet fan:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=35-150-010&depa=0

For quietness use the largest heatsink possible for your MB combined
with the largest fan size. This will allow it to run at a lower RPM
and get the same cooling. Always look for ball bearing fans.

This is running at the very low end with 2700 RPM and a noise level of
26.5 dBA. If you use processor intensive apps then a 3600 RPM fan with
about 30 dBA would keep it cooler.

>For an AMD XP2800+. The stock is now the loudest thing in this case.
>
>Many thanks, appreciate it. Shaun

shawk

"Al" <A@nospam.net> wrote in message news:410007a7.1722739@news.mr.net...
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:21:18 +0100, "Shawk"
> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>
> Here is an example of what makes a good, quiet fan:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=35-150-010&depa=0

> For quietness use the largest heatsink possible for your MB combined
> with the largest fan size. This will allow it to run at a lower RPM
> and get the same cooling. Always look for ball bearing fans.
>
> This is running at the very low end with 2700 RPM and a noise level of
> 26.5 dBA. If you use processor intensive apps then a 3600 RPM fan with
> about 30 dBA would keep it cooler.
>
> >For an AMD XP2800+. The stock is now the loudest thing in this case.
> >
> >Many thanks, appreciate it. Shaun

Found a stockist of the WhisperRock in the UK - only £7. Now I just need to
find out whether its OK with my mobo.

Thanks, Shaun

Abit NF7-S(2) Mobo
AMD XP2800+
Antec 430W true Power PSU
Sapphire 9600 Pro (soon to be 128MB, 256bit 9800 Pro)
Antec 1080AMG case

Shawk wrote:
> "Al" <A@nospam.net> wrote in message news:410007a7.1722739@news.mr.net...
>
>>On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:21:18 +0100, "Shawk"
>><shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>>
>>Here is an example of what makes a good, quiet fan:
>>

> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=35-150-010&depa=0
>
>>For quietness use the largest heatsink possible for your MB combined
>>with the largest fan size. This will allow it to run at a lower RPM
>>and get the same cooling. Always look for ball bearing fans.
>>
>>This is running at the very low end with 2700 RPM and a noise level of
>>26.5 dBA. If you use processor intensive apps then a 3600 RPM fan with
>>about 30 dBA would keep it cooler.
>>

>>>For an AMD XP2800+. The stock is now the loudest thing in this case.
>>>
>>>Many thanks, appreciate it. Shaun
>>

> Found a stockist of the WhisperRock in the UK - only £7. Now I just need to
> find out whether its OK with my mobo.
>
> Thanks, Shaun
>
> Abit NF7-S(2) Mobo
> AMD XP2800+
> Antec 430W true Power PSU
> Sapphire 9600 Pro (soon to be 128MB, 256bit 9800 Pro)
> Antec 1080AMG case

copied from Newegg reviews of Speeze "WhisperRock II" CPU Cooler, for
AMD/ Intel Socket A/ 370, Model "5F263B1M3G"

Model# 5F263B1M3
Item # N82E16835150010
It apparently fits your mobo.

"Dave,3/6/2004 11:12:14 AM

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Mobo: Abit's NF7-S
Idle Temp: 37 C
Full Load Temp: 45 C*
Installation: Simple to install, also used the paste that came already
applied.
Noise: Can't hear it over the noisy fans that came with my case.

*Temperatures may be a little higher then they could be because of the
bad airflow in my case."

shawk

"tomcas" <tomcas@NOSPAMmjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message
> Shawk wrote:
> > "Al" <A@nospam.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:21:18 +0100, "Shawk"
> >><shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
> >>
> >>Here is an example of what makes a good, quiet fan:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=35-150-010&depa=0

> >>For quietness use the largest heatsink possible for your MB combined
> >>with the largest fan size. This will allow it to run at a lower RPM
> >>and get the same cooling. Always look for ball bearing fans.
> >>
> >>This is running at the very low end with 2700 RPM and a noise level of
> >>26.5 dBA. If you use processor intensive apps then a 3600 RPM fan with
> >>about 30 dBA would keep it cooler.

> > Found a stockist of the WhisperRock in the UK - only £7. Now I just
need to
> > find out whether its OK with my mobo.
> >
> > Thanks, Shaun
> >
> > Abit NF7-S(2) Mobo
> > AMD XP2800+
> > Antec 430W true Power PSU
> > Sapphire 9600 Pro (soon to be 128MB, 256bit 9800 Pro)
> > Antec 1080AMG case
> >

> copied from Newegg reviews of Speeze "WhisperRock II" CPU Cooler, for
> AMD/ Intel Socket A/ 370, Model "5F263B1M3G"
>
> Model# 5F263B1M3
> Item # N82E16835150010
> It apparently fits your mobo.
>
> "Dave,3/6/2004 11:12:14 AM
>
> CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+
> Mobo: Abit's NF7-S
> Idle Temp: 37 C
> Full Load Temp: 45 C*
> Installation: Simple to install, also used the paste that came already
> applied.
> Noise: Can't hear it over the noisy fans that came with my case.
>
> *Temperatures may be a little higher then they could be because of the
> bad airflow in my case."

Cheers, appreciate it. Shaun

Zalman 7000A Cu nothing better and SILENT :)

Run it at 1500rpm and you can't HEar it.

"OCZ Guy" <ModenMr@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> Zalman 7000A Cu nothing better and SILENT :)
>

> Run it at 1500rpm and you can't HEar it.
>

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:21:18 +0100, "Shawk"
> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>
> >For an AMD XP2800+. The stock is now the loudest thing in this case.
> >
> >Many thanks, appreciate it. Shaun

Thanks OCZ Guy but I should have given the specs - this wont fit on an
NF7-S(2) :-(

Abit NF7-S(2) Mobo
AMD XP2800+
Antec 430W true Power PSU
Sapphire 9600 Pro (soon to be 128MB, 256bit 9800 Pro)
Antec 1080AMG case

Cheers, Shaun

It will fit on an Abit NF7-s 2.0 if you cut the clip :) iam going to
put the 7000a Cu on mine :)

I sent an email to Zalman asking them to cut a clip and send it to me
maybe they will do it for me :)

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:31:18 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>"tomcas" <tomcas@NOSPAMmjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message
>> Shawk wrote:
>> > "Al" <A@nospam.net> wrote in message

>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=35-150-010&depa=0

>> > Found a stockist of the WhisperRock in the UK - only £7. Now I just
>need to
>> > find out whether its OK with my mobo.
>> >
>> > Thanks, Shaun
>> >
>> > Abit NF7-S(2) Mobo
>> > AMD XP2800+
>> > Antec 430W true Power PSU
>> > Sapphire 9600 Pro (soon to be 128MB, 256bit 9800 Pro)
>> > Antec 1080AMG case
>> >

>> copied from Newegg reviews of Speeze "WhisperRock II" CPU Cooler, for
>> AMD/ Intel Socket A/ 370, Model "5F263B1M3G"
>>
>> Model# 5F263B1M3
>> Item # N82E16835150010
>> It apparently fits your mobo.
>>
>> "Dave,3/6/2004 11:12:14 AM
>>
>> CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+
>> Mobo: Abit's NF7-S
>> Idle Temp: 37 C
>> Full Load Temp: 45 C*
>> Installation: Simple to install, also used the paste that came already
>> applied.
>> Noise: Can't hear it over the noisy fans that came with my case.
>>
>> *Temperatures may be a little higher then they could be because of the
>> bad airflow in my case."
>

>Cheers, appreciate it. Shaun

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:21:18 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>For an AMD XP2800+. The stock is now the loudest thing in this case.
>
>Many thanks, appreciate it. Shaun

Akasa AK824cu .

Cheap as chips, and keeps my 2600+ under 40c (under load, validated
with a type-k thermocouple I borrowed from work)