[SOLVED] Recommendation for a quiet PC case -- SilentiumPC Armis AR7 (SPC181) ?

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013
I am searching for a quiet case with at least one 5,25" ODD Bay, with space for a CPU cooler of 170 mm (6,7") ; ATX format MB.
My PSU is Corsair RM550x ; CPU cooler is Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 (BW).

If someone is using this case SilentiumPC Armis AR7 (SPC181) : I would be grateful to know about the sound / quietness of it.
I know there is no real sound dumping [dampening?] coverage of panels -- maybe they can be fitted with insulating covering ?
How quiet are the included Sigma HP 120 fans ? I did not found figures about noise generated.

Would you suggest other, quieter PC case ?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Always be quiet! as an option. They have quite a few designed for silence. And their fans are pretty good too. I bought one once as part of a test to see which fan was to end up in a CPU cooler. Xigmatech won out, but the be quiet! fan was a close second.

I thought my BitFenix Ghost was rather quiet when I was running it as an air cooled PC. It does have insulated panels and a somewhat restrictive front, but the goal was to dampen the noise. Just some lazy 140mm up top to get the heat out and it worked fairly well. I believe I ended up using Corsair SP fans and a cheap resistive fan controller to keep the fans low. That is quite similar to that Silentium, aside from the full basement in that one.

Also like Phantek F140SP fans for a good mix of silence and performance. Loudest part in my current system is the pump, which is getting on in years and I probably need to replace it.

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013
Your cpu cooler is only 161mm which will fit.

What will be inside this pc that needs to be cooled?

A quiet pc needs fans that do not run at high rpm.
If you find a otherwise good case without insulated panels, silverstone makes such material:
https://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-21-Inch-Dampening-Acoustic-SF01/dp/B0040JHMH6

I am thankful for your advice.
I have a very simple PC ; I do not play games. Video card is Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 5570, DDR3 1024 MB (800 MHz) ; GPU 650 MHz

The cooler is for sure 170 mm : http://thermalright.com/product/true-spirit-140-bw/
http://thermalright.com/backup/images/cooler outline/TS-140_b.png
This is one of the difficulties.

I need the Optical Drive / at least one 5,25" ODD Bay should be available. It seems that most cases do not offer this.

I will look for the Silverstone foam and read user opinions ; I hope it is not regular foam -- that is flammable and becomes frail over time.

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013
What is your cpu that needs such a nice cooler?
What are the rest of your parts?
Do you use hard drives which are noisier than ssd devices?

Can you use integrated graphics which is silent?
The fan on a 5570 is going to make some noise.

My CPU is AMD FX-6300 ; I understand it can develop 95 W of heat.
I chose a larger cooler, with suitable ventilator thinking that this would make the ventilator spin lower, so making less noise.

My actual case is ANTEC SLK-1600 ; it is quite old and serves only as backbone : all side walls had to be removed, so my PC is open.
The cooler is higher than the case would allow ; side panels could be installed only together, as some parts keep fitting together when installed – so there is no sound barrier at all.
The usual airflow is not present, as actually "there is no case". I do not know how this affects cooling (maybe being totally open keeps all pieces at ambient temperature ??). But for sure this total openness allows all sounds to get to me.

I installed a PSU Corsair RM550x (2018 ver.) that is much-much quieter than the original one. Previously, the PSU ventilator was responsible for most of the noise.

The video card's ventilator seems to not make a lot of noise / or I do not feel it annoying.
Maybe I shall think about replacing it's ventilator with ultra quiet version – although this seems difficult to me.

I use 3 HDD's ; they are crammed and hot. They would need more space for better air flow.
The old case has a structure like a cage that makes this quite impossible.

I suppose that getting a proper case, so being able to cover all up + placing HDDs on some soft plastic : would reduce noise.
My first choice was GameMax SilentMax M903X ; but this arrived with a factory fault and had to be sent back.
I was somehow disappointed by the way plastic covering was fitted to metal parts.
Side panels of this case do have sound insulation.

So I started to look for your advice and guidance.

I would not spend a dime on a FX system that can not be carried forward to a new build.
What is your budget?
For <$250m you can buy a 10th gen i3-10100 which is about twice as strong as the FX-6300, a lga1200 motherboard, and a 2 x 8gb ddr4 ram kit.
The integrated HD630 will be stronger,
(for anything except fast action gaming)

I built one and put it in a mini case with no active fans and heat was never a problem. using the stock cooler.

Try and sell your old parts.
If you want a nice case with a 5.25" bay, look at the fractal focus G:
https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-focus-g-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352069

Last edited:

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013
I would not spend a dime on a FX system that can not be carried forward to a new build.
What is your budget?
For <$250m you can buy a 10th gen i3-10100 which is about twice as strong as the FX-6300, a lga1200 motherboard, and a 2 x 8gb ddr4 ram kit.
The integrated HD630 will be stronger,
(for anything except fast action gaming)

I built one and put it in a mini case with no active fans and heat was never a problem. using the stock cooler.

Try and sell your old parts.
If you want a nice case with a 5.25" bay, look at the fractal focus G:
https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-focus-g-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352069

I am really thankful for your thoughts, for your suggestions, for taking time to help me.
Over time, I will have to upgrade the system -- I know. To me, making smaller and slow steps seems easier. I think of upgrading now the case, and over time, the MB + processor. Previously, some 1 years ago, I bought a better PSU. I bought this fall SSD ; I plan to use it with the new case. But I will think on your advice -- for sure you know better.
Fractal Focus G is not high enough, unfortunately. Indeed it is a nice, more affordable case.
I am reticent to the "snap" attaching of covers, but the ANTEC P101 is yet the best idea I got for case -- I am very grateful.

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013
Finally I made an effort and took a decision to buy Fractal Design Define R5 ; I did not made the replacement yet, but I hope will be good.
I was "afraid" of the snapping conection of the side pannels of ANTEC P101.

I am thankful for all your help !

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013
I finally moved parts from the old case. I even added one more HDD.

Fractal Design Define R5 is indeed very quiet -- even at night noise became almost totally inaudible.
Outside of the wooden frame (where the PC seats usually) the sound was even weaker ; I suppose the wooden frame and the back wall somehow resonates and amplify sounds.
The cables & everything else was easy to install.
I am happy : silence is gold.

Reactions: Quanticriver