Recommendation For A Win7 x64 Gaming Sound Card

jban

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Hello Community,

I recently put together a brand new system and installed Win. 7 RC (64-bit) as my OS. All of the components work well together, and I've played everything from Cyrsis:Warhead to Company of Heroes, without any issues -- perfectly happy.

Now onto my question.

My current audio setup consists only of the on-board audio and my Logitech USB headset, neither of which is of particular "gaming" grade quality, but both however, do serve their respective purposes fine. But I would like to step up to the plate and get a "quality" sound card, along with some quality speakers.

My question: What sound cards out there are both (1.) exceptional quality and (2.) work fine in an 64-bit environment (Vista/Windows 7). I've known companies before to release a new product altogether, rather than supporting their current, existing products with a driver update... thereby forcing you to make a purchase.

Should I wait till Windows 7 is officially released before looking to purchase anything sound related (either a new sound card/speakers or a new headset)?

Thank you,

I run an ASUS Xonar via optical out to an NAD/PolkAudio/Sennheiser HD650 7.1 home theater setup. And yes, I'm doing that in Win 7. Though I'd not necessarily call it a gaming rig, it certainly handles that with ease.

On the positive side, the card works great and sounds awesome. On the negative side - for documentation you basically get a picture and have to figure out the rest. It's not hard to figure out, though.

Creative have had a pretty spotty record with drivers and reliability the last few years. Though they definitely have their supporters, I'm not one of them.

The Creative X-FI XtremeGamer will meet your needs. Drivers for Vista 32/64 and beta drivers for Win732/64 are available; heck, they even have Linux drivers for the XtremeGamer!

jban

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Thank you for the replies so far.

Since I'm not very technically savvy with sound (cards), would you mind enlightening me as to what the marks of "good" sound cards are, or what usually separates the different price points from one another (say $50 compared to a $80 or higher).

Thanks,

That all depends on what you will plug into it I use the X-Fi Fatality Pro Champion or something like that plugged into Z5500 just kiks ass THX certified just home theater but still awsome. The diffrence will be the level of EAX up to 5 I think on X-fi and the level of Dolby or whatever surrond you want that is decoded on the sound card. Also if you are plugging it into a stereo that that can do the surround decoding for you might not be a big deal. basicly find the lowest destortion in db you can afford and highest surround level you will be pluggin into it 2.1 5.1 7.1 and so on.

T

n8dogg

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I would say Auzentech forte would be a great bet. It runs perfect under win 7 64x and it rated as one of the best soundcards on the market.

jban

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

So to be clear, you have Win7 64bit and have this card? Or are there specific reviews that you could cite?

Thanks

jban

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Just to update, I decided to try out how well the on-board audio performed with a better headset (the Razor Carcharias); the sound it quite good. My motherboard is a: EVGA E760 Classified.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188048

Two questions:

1.) When using the new headset on Skype, I am told (by the other person) that my new headset makes me sound more staticy (perhaps it's more sensitive?). Could this be caused by the on-board mic input? I only say that, because the Logitech USB headset that I used prior, I am told, sounds much more clear.

I've used it for Team Speak / Ventrilo, and I sound fine there.

Also, unless I turn the mic boost (Windows opton) up to +20db, then I sound quiet over Skype to this person as well.

2.) Since I now have a gaming-grade headset, when looking to purchase the next piece (the sound card), should I look for an optical to "headset" adapter or would just plugging the headset into the sound card's headset-in, be sufficient for great sound?

Thank you