Question Recommendation for router

electrolyte2021

Prominent
Jul 30, 2021
I recently changed from ADSL2+ ISP providing 6mbps to a cable ISP providing 40mbps. Since the change I am having problems with game clients crashing. They don't all crash at the same time but within a 24 hour period they all crash at least once. I am using a D-Link Dir 636L and a brand new TP-Link TL-SG1024S switch. I am a single user and I run three computers that run game clients, two of which do nothing but run game clients. I upgraded my service because I recently got an Xbox; to save time for game updates as well to paying like a dollar more for the extra bandwidth and I don't run anything or do anything else. Xbox games are all installed and the problem persists on its own.

Anyways, that being said, I suspect that the problem is my outdated router so I chatted it up with TP Link CS earlier who recommended their tl-r605, tl-ER7206 and their E8411 as the only wired routers that meet my needs. Searching online shows that there are other TP-Link models available but I am not gonna bother to go back to ask if they are discontinued products etc.

This caught my eye on Amazon but after looking at it at its manufacturer site it shows as dicsontinued; TRENDnet TW100-S4W1CA .

I don't know much about Omada type TP-Link router but after watching a review for the cheapest of the three I want to find another choice because i don't need a remote feature and I am looking for a cheaper choice and maybe a more bare bones if need be. I had asked th CS for a router that was plug and play and that would work with my (network) switch, that the only changes I wanted to make to it was the admin utility password. Their recommendation was the most expensive, the ER7206 which goes for somewhere north of $500 for my needs of plug and play as a single user with three computers to run my game clients. I don't do anything special with these game clients and they take about .3mbps bandwidth to run; shops. The most I have ever spent on a router was $200, the ASUS N66 for its range back in the day, but $500?! That is some serious cash for a wired router. It's not that I wouldn't spend that but are there any other options that work as well without the bells and whistles if that is why so much?

Any recommendations that isn't discontinued? I want to get the right one that will be good for some time and works well with cable ISP (40mbps is good for my needs, so was 6mbps but 40 is better for Xbox game updates. my provider's cable modem is a Hitron CDA-RES).

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I recently changed from ADSL2+ ISP providing 6mbps to a cable ISP providing 40mbps. Since the change I am having problems with game clients crashing. They don't all crash at the same time but within a 24 hour period they all crash at least once. I am using a D-Link Dir 636L and a brand new TP-Link TL-SG1024S switch. I am a single user and I run three computers that run game clients, two of which do nothing but run game clients. I upgraded my service because I recently got an Xbox; to save time for game updates as well to paying like a dollar more for the extra bandwidth and I don't run anything or do anything else. Xbox games are all installed and the problem persists on its own.

Anyways, that being said, I suspect that the problem is my outdated router so I chatted it up with TP Link CS earlier who recommended their tl-r605, tl-ER7206 and their E8411 as the only wired routers that meet my needs. Searching online shows that there are other TP-Link models available but I am not gonna bother to go back to ask if they are discontinued products etc.

This caught my eye on Amazon but after looking at it at its manufacturer site it shows as dicsontinued; TRENDnet TW100-S4W1CA .

I don't know much about Omada type TP-Link router but after watching a review for the cheapest of the three I want to find another choice because i don't need a remote feature and I am looking for a cheaper choice and maybe a more bare bones if need be. I had asked th CS for a router that was plug and play and that would work with my (network) switch, that the only changes I wanted to make to it was the admin utility password. Their recommendation was the most expensive, the ER7206 which goes for somewhere north of $500 for my needs of plug and play as a single user with three computers to run my game clients. I don't do anything special with these game clients and they take about .3mbps bandwidth to run; shops. The most I have ever spent on a router was $200, the ASUS N66 for its range back in the day, but $500?! That is some serious cash for a wired router. It's not that I wouldn't spend that but are there any other options that work as well without the bells and whistles if that is why so much?

Any recommendations that isn't discontinued? I want to get the right one that will be good for some time and works well with cable ISP (40mbps is good for my needs, so was 6mbps but 40 is better for Xbox game updates. my provider's cable modem is a Hitron CDA-RES).
Ubiquiti edge router? Mikrotik hEX? Those are the typical wired only router choices.