Recommendation for somewhat quiet <$6000 system that handles Davinci Resolve at 4K with ease

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdanzig

Reputable
Jan 17, 2017
Recommendations for the following, please?

Approximate Purchase Date: March, 2017
Budget Range: $5000-$6000
System Usage: 4K video in Davinci Resolve/Adobe Premiere/After Effects, RAW Photo Editing (Capture One), Java/Scala distributed programming in a Virtualbox Linux machine
Monitor: Yes
Need to buy OS: Yes
No preferred website, although I do have Amazon Prime
No parts preference, although I think it's time I move away from Mac.
Overclocking: Yes
SLI/Crossfire: No
Monitor Resolution: 3840x2160
Additional comments:
I'd like the computer to be quiet as possible, at least when being used for just web browsing. I do want it to handle Davinci Resolve at 4K with ease. And I'd want a minimum of 6TB, with room for expansion. I have an external bluray burner, which I've used, although internal might be nice. I think the Alienware/Republic of Gamers cases are horribly ugly.
Why am I upgrading:
I'm an indie filmmaker/software engineer with an early-2009 Mac Pro tower. I have three drives totaling 6TB, and 22GB of RAM, which lets me run Adobe Premiere/After Effects/Speedgrade usably, but it still can be very choppy with slow rendering. Davinci Resolve doesn't run at all. After waiting long enough for Apple to come out with a more reasonably designed overpriced system, I'm ready to go PC.

sdanzig

Reputable
Jan 17, 2017
The aftermath... I flipped the switch and nothing happened. After troubleshooting, it appears one of the 2683v4's that I got off ebay, supposedly nearly new, didn't work. It worked after I pulled it out. Then I realized that the Crucial MX300 525GB SSD, also off eBay, was actually a 64GB SSD with a switched label. I sprung for the Supermicro Thunderbolt card to ensure compatibility. I just figured out that I had to route it through the graphics card. Now it's working brilliantly.

I'm okay just working on returning the CPU, backed up by ebay's money back guarantee. And I'm waiting on a new SSD that I grabbed off amazon. The M.2 drive seems to be working fine in the M2P4A adapter. I was nervous about that.

So I think I'm mostly unscathed, and will go for the two CPUs down the road, especially if I'm noticing a bottleneck.

I'd say mostly a good experience. Thanks to everyone who helped me, especially King Dranzer.

sdanzig

Reputable
Jan 17, 2017
For anyone viewing this thread, lesson learned... using an adapter to support an M.2 card was a huge mistake. I used a Bplus M2P4A card, specifically, because it had a heat sink, which I thought would be better for it. I actually had issues with file transfers onto the M.2 drive and it took me forever to troubleshoot. When copying large video files, often there would be intermittent glitches that appear throughout the file. Other files would get corrupted too. I replaced it with another Crucial SSD.. not as fast, but headache free. The Thunderbolt support was important to me... otherwise I probably should have gone with the ASUS board I was considering in this thread, which had native M.2 support.