[SOLVED] Recommendation for upgrading system.

sindhu84

Honorable
Nov 9, 2016
Hello
I need advice, whether i update my gpu or upgrade my processor and motherboard.
My current system specs are
Core i7 6700k
Asus maximus viii hero
16gb ram corsair dominator
Msi gtx 1080 gaming x
Evga t2 850w
Noctua NH-U14s heatsink
Casing is corsair 760t

If i upgrade my processor to core i9 9900k what air cooler and motherboard recommended?

Solution
If you have the funds and have the itch to upgrade, then, by all means go ahead and scratch that itch.

Nothing is "future proof", certainly not for 5 years.
Who knows what apps/games you will want to be playing then.

I might suggest that a I7-9700K and a Z390 motherboard would be a nice processor upgrade for gaming.
Your 6700K has 8 threads(4 cores + hyperthreading) a total passmark rating of 11108 and a single thread rating of 2353.
The i7-9700K has 8 full cores, and a rating of 17238 and a single thread rating of 2823.
It would be fine with your current cooler and is likely to oc near 5.0.

If you were running multithreaded apps like editing/rendering, then perhaps the extra threads might be useful.
A i9-9900K needs a better than...
If i9-9900K: I would start with your NH-U14S and choose your favorite Z390 motherboard. I prefer ASRock or Asus. If you need better cooling then buy the NH-D15. But I think the gains would be minimal. If you can get 5.0GHz on all cores I would stick with the NH-U14S.

What monitor do you have?

I think you have a well balanced gamer.

Here is my stock text on the cpu/gpu upgrade question:

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system,
and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

If your use is primarily gaming and not multithreaded batch apps, then a i7-9700K is going to be as god a gamer as a 9900K.

Reactions: sindhu84
The Noctua can beat many AIOs, its one of the best air coolers out there. And for this CPU you would need it..

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FRJcNQ

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($489.99 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.85 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($158.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $738.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-07 12:56 EDT-0400

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
unless you making living from you PC you really dont need to upgrade, you can still use that system for another 2years.
just pop in a SSD if you dont have it already.

and even if you need to upgrade, wait for intel's 10th gen or ryzen's 3rd gen, ryzen especially if you do editing and streaming.

sindhu84

Honorable
Nov 9, 2016
Samsung m.2 970pro installed.
I just play games, watch movies and hooked with samsung 55” 4k tv.
I am having reasonable offer for my processor and motherboard if i sell
If i upgrade to core i9 and remaining specs will be same will it be future proof for five years.

If you have the funds and have the itch to upgrade, then, by all means go ahead and scratch that itch.

Nothing is "future proof", certainly not for 5 years.
Who knows what apps/games you will want to be playing then.

I might suggest that a I7-9700K and a Z390 motherboard would be a nice processor upgrade for gaming.
Your 6700K has 8 threads(4 cores + hyperthreading) a total passmark rating of 11108 and a single thread rating of 2353.
The i7-9700K has 8 full cores, and a rating of 17238 and a single thread rating of 2823.
It would be fine with your current cooler and is likely to oc near 5.0.

If you were running multithreaded apps like editing/rendering, then perhaps the extra threads might be useful.
A i9-9900K needs a better than average Z390 motherboard with good power delivery capability.

Your noctua NH-U14s is an excellent cooler and would likely suffice.
If you need more, I like the NH-D15s.

Solution
Third gen Ryzen is about to be released and Intel is going to counter so we have some great competition in the near future. You still have an amazing well balanced system by today's standards. If I was in your shoes, i'd sit on your current hardware and see what's released in the next year. I hear high end processors will have 12-16 cores as the standard for both Intel & AMD.

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
Samsung m.2 970pro installed.
I just play games, watch movies and hooked with samsung 55” 4k tv.
I am having reasonable offer for my processor and motherboard if i sell
If i upgrade to core i9 and remaining specs will be same will it be future proof for five years.

when things get to 4k i9 or i7 wouldnt make much of a difference, games usually dont need more than 6c,6T at decent speed, FPS are pumped out by the GPU..
i9 or i7, 1080ti will only give you around 40-60fps at ultra settings on either of those CPUs even with and older gen i7 fps will remain around 40-60fps. for example fps will remain around 40-60fps (with 4k ultra AAA demanding games) on your current CPU, if you get new i7 or even if you get new i9.

you want more FPS you need better GPU, or SLI and even with them the increase would be less than 50% fps increase.
you dont really need an upgrade not for another 2years, and if you really want to spend cash wait for 10th gen intel chips.
and you dont need i9 unless you stream, or going to edit videos on it on regular bases, or use your rig to make a living with editing or streaming.

I agree with the suggestion that there's not much point in upgrading the processor yet if you are running games at 4K. At a high resolution like that, your graphics card will be what's limiting performance in the vast majority of today's games, so a processor upgrade would show very little difference in performance.

And currently, the only options that would be worth considering as an upgrade from a GTX 1080 would be the RTX 2080 (on average around 35% faster than a GTX 1080 at 4K), or an RTX 2080 Ti (on average around 75% faster than a GTX 1080 at 4K). The GTX 1080 Ti typically performs just a little behind the 2080 in today's games, though I would only consider that card if it can be found for less than a 2080. It's no longer being manufactured, so prices for it tend to be higher, at least when buying new, making the 2080 a better option.

If you don't want to spend a lot for one of these arguably overpriced cards but are looking for higher frame rates in games, it might be worth just dropping your resolution to something lower than 4K, and holding off on any upgrades for another year or so, by which point there may be more graphics card options available at lower price points.