[SOLVED] Recommendation for using Cablemod Mod Flex cable kit with Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
Hello guys. I just bought a Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W for my building pc project, and a Cablemod Mod Flex B-series 10/11cable kit, wich is the specific cable kit model for this PSU, considering the Cablemod official site. I presume that the OEM cable kit of this PSU is a high quality cable kit, because Prime Ultra Titanium is the flagship of Seasonic, but I don’t know. Anyway, the recommendation of the manufacturer is to use the OEM cable kit, maybe because they previous tested the performance of the cables and builded for an optimal power delivery to the system, or/and maybe more important, because the OEM cables have inline capacitors for an increased voltage stability. Now, I bought this Cablemod cable kit only for a better look in the case, but I am not sure if using a third party cables is a good ideea for the quality of what the system will recive from the PSU. I observed that such a third party sleeved cables made by different manufacturers ( Cablemod is a very appreciated brand) is frecuently used by some builders, but I don’t know if this is a professional solution, or is just a fashion solution. I read here in this forum that some PSU don’t need an inline capacitors.Plus, in another discution on the Internet, even an Seasonic official representative recommend to a costumer to use Cablemod cables and he evaluate Cablemod as a highend cable manufacturer. So, seems to be good to choose this cable kit.
Question no.1 is using or not this Cablemod kit considering that I don’t know if those cables have inline capacitors ? I am confused about this.
Question no.2 is what is your recommendation for the position of the PSU inside my case - Corsair Obsidian 500 D SE RGB, face up or down ? My case manual show the PSU in a little image with face up, but I am not sure about the right instalation in this case. In the same time, my case have a grill filter at the bottom of the dedicated psu location, and I presume I have to install my psu facing downward, am I right ?
For me, like a beginner in PC building, I am very happy to have found such a great community like yours, and for each time when I talk with you is a big pleasure. Thank you !

Last edited:
Solution
Is your case designed for the PSU to be on the bottom rather than on the top like old cases were designed? If so, then yes, the fan should face DOWN, so that it brings in the coldest air and vents it's heat out the back. You don't want to use the already heated air from inside the case to try to cool the PSU. The only time the PSU fan should draw air from inside the case is on older top mounted style cases.
1. Aftermarket cable sets never have inline capacitors. So if you have a PSU that uses them in the OEM cables, expect at least a minor increase in ripple, which generally is not enough to affect anything significantly or even noticeably, but might take it out of mythic territory down into just very good territory, like with the G2 power supplies that also have inline caps.

2. Prime ultra titanium units DO NOT have inline capacitors, so it doesn't matter.

Seasonic has included a PSU tester in the box that will let consumers perform a quick and easy jump start on the power supply. Each PRIME Ultra Series power supply will also ship with a SATA 3.3 adapter to support the “Power Disable” (PWDIS) feature of the newer, high-capacity hard drives. The inline capacitors on the cables were removed, which takes away the bulkiness inside the system. To maximize flexibility, the 180-degree SATA connectors ensuring more flexibility and easier installation.

https://seasonic.com/prime-ultra-titanium

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
1. Aftermarket cable sets never have inline capacitors. So if you have a PSU that uses them in the OEM cables, expect at least a minor increase in ripple, which generally is not enough to affect anything significantly or even noticeably, but might take it out of mythic territory down into just very good territory, like with the G2 power supplies that also have inline caps.

2. Prime ultra titanium units DO NOT have inline capacitors, so it doesn't matter.

https://seasonic.com/prime-ultra-titanium
Thank you very much for your fast and competent answer. And for the second question, about the PSU fan point in my case, I presume that this article is totaly relevant, isn’t it ?https://blog.nzxt.com/which-way-should-a-psu-fan-point/

Is your case designed for the PSU to be on the bottom rather than on the top like old cases were designed? If so, then yes, the fan should face DOWN, so that it brings in the coldest air and vents it's heat out the back. You don't want to use the already heated air from inside the case to try to cool the PSU. The only time the PSU fan should draw air from inside the case is on older top mounted style cases.

Solution

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
Yes, my case (it is a very new model, I think a 2018 model) is designed with the place of the PSU on the bottom. Plus, the schroud have a circle of perforations upside the PSU, maybe for a better ventilation of the compartiment where the source is installed ( I don’t know what is it for those perforations), so I will certainly install it facing downward, considering that the main filter in the PSU’s compartiment is on the bottom of the case.Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I have the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium. Its orientation depends on your cooling setup as its a hybrid PSU. If you turn hybrid mode on the PSU fan should be on top, the fan will not run under most operations and the PSU will radiate its heat upward to be exhausted by the system's fans. If it gets really hot the fan will turn on and draw air in the system through it. I have mine setup this way and the fan RARELY ever turns on even under heavier operations. I believe it turns on when you're over 80% capacity. The advantage is of course the PSU is quiet.

If you turn OFF hybrid mode then the PSU fan should be facing down as it will run more often and draw air from outside the case. Its important to properly set the mode depending on orientation, as if the fan is facing down and Hybrid is on, the PSU will run hot.

Reactions: Violett

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Being inside a shroud, I'd never configure it that way. That's just me though.

I do it mainly for the silence and also the fan vent side of the Prime Titanium is very nice looking with chrome and stuff (and my case is tempered glass). But yeah its not for everyone, in my case my system is full negative pressure so venting the heat into the case isn't a big deal as it gets pulled out by a plethora of fans.

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
I have the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium. Its orientation depends on your cooling setup as its a hybrid PSU. If you turn hybrid mode on the PSU fan should be on top, the fan will not run under most operations and the PSU will radiate its heat upward to be exhausted by the system's fans. If it gets really hot the fan will turn on and draw air in the system through it. I have mine setup this way and the fan RARELY ever turns on even under heavier operations. I believe it turns on when you're over 80% capacity. The advantage is of course the PSU is quiet.

If you turn OFF hybrid mode then the PSU fan should be facing down as it will run more often and draw air from outside the case. Its important to properly set the mode depending on orientation, as if the fan is facing down and Hybrid is on, the PSU will run hot.
Thank you very much for what you mentioned, this is very important, because is useless if I install proper the PSU, without a proper setting. My model case is Corsair Obsidian 500D SE RGB, wich have 3 fans Corsair LL 120 on the front side. I will add the same fan on the back of the case and I’ll install an AIO Corsair H115i RGB Platinum ( wich have 2 Corsair ML140 fans) with the radiator (size 280 mm) on the top of the case.( Hahaha, you can say now that I am a Corsair fan, but the only product that I already have from this brand in my other gaming setup is a Corsair headphone stand. ) Will see how this parts will perform in this system, I don’t know, I hope that the cooling of the entire system will be ok with my I9 9900-k. You know, we, like begineers in pc building, need so much your experience to be shared with us. Thank you again.
But now, after this words beeing said, can you say to me wich is the most indicated way to install my PSU into my system ? I know now that the first posibility is facing downward with Hybrid mode off, and the second way is facing upward with Hybrid mode on. But wich is the noiseist way between those , because I don’ t understand... Facing downward, the PSU pull colder air from outside the case, and I suppose in that way the activity of the PSU’s fan is smaller than in the other situation, when it pull hot air from inside the case? Why the system is more silent with the PSU facing upward ? Sorry for my confusion. And wich is better for the lifespan of the PSU in my particular situation ?

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I agree with Darkbreeze's recommendation of pointing the PSU down and not using hybrid mode. The way that case is set up for cooling I don't think introducing the heat of the PSU is a good idea. Also you have a PSU shroud so that would defeat the purpose of it anyway. The fan on this PSU is NOT loud at all, tbh you will barely notice it so I wouldn't worry.

Now as for your cooling you'd be best served mounting that radiator to the front of the case and having the fans blow through it, then exhaust out the top and rear. Darkbreeze is an expert in this as well.