[SOLVED] Recommendation for Wiressles 4G Router that DO NOT have Channel Avoidance Mechanism

Aug 12, 2020
Hi,

Good day to you.

I would like to ask, any Wireless 4G router model to recommend please?

Requirement as follows:
1) First, it must be able to manual set the wireless channel number, instead of 'Auto' assigned.

2) Secondly, the router DO NOT enforce "Channel Avoidance Mechanism
(ie: It just use whatever Channel number that I've manually set, and WILL NOT automatically change it to another Channel number when it detect that this Channel number is used by some other wireless network around)

Reason for the above requirement is due to I have very bad experience with TP-LINK router (model: Archer MR200), where it has this "Channel Avoidance Mechanism" feature.

In the web-console, it allows me to manually set a Channel number.

But whenever it detect that this Channel number is used by some other network around, it will somehow still automatically set to another Channel number.

This behaviour causes my wireless client device connection to drop as the Channel number out of its accepted range.

Appreciate if you can recommend a router model that do not have this issue?

Thanks.

Aug 12, 2020
So why do you want to use a channel being used by another network?

That would likely just cause interference....

What frequency and channel number are you dealing/working with?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yea, we observed that apparently there isn't any real effect from whatever 'interference' that this router 'detected' with this manual Channel number that we've set it.
All our other client devices (computers, mobile phones) have no issue connecting to this Wifi and the usage are Ok.

Our problem is with one specific piece of client IoT device, where this device only accepts Channel no. ranged 1 - 11.
And when this TP-LINK Router automatically overrides the Channel no. that we've manually set it (eg: 1) to another no., for eg: 13, then it causes the Wifi connection of this client to drop, and the Wifi SSID cannot be detected at all by the client at all.

The confusing part is that this Router allows us to manually set a Channel no, but it doens't honor it and it may still automatically assign another Channel number if it detected same channel no. is used. It has the 'Channel avoidance machanism' feature --> I it read from TP-LINK official forum.

So I'm desperately looking for some expert advises here, for recommendation on router that really 'honor' what we have manually set for the Channel no (and other setting too of course).

Thanks!

Aug 12, 2020
This:

"Our problem is with one specific piece of client IoT device, where this device only accepts Channel no. ranged 1 - 11. "

What specific IoT device/product are you using?

Hi, thanks for your reply.

The device is called EWON Flexy IoT Router. It's able connect to Wifi network. It uses 2.4Ghz wireless and Channel no. range 1 - 11
It not only limited to this specific device. With such router behavior, it may have same issue with some other devices in future too. So we will thinking to look for other router models.

The issue is with the router, because it has a Channel range 1 - 13. (I can see it in the dropdown list when making manual selection in the configration page),
And when it doesn't honor the manual setting, and just simply assign the Channel to..say 13 (we observed it has tendency to assign to 13 often). So when Channel no. = 13, some Client devices might not be able to detect the network. (Though my own computer, Samsung mobile phones are Ok with it, but I can't be sure it will be the same of all other types of client devices in future that we going to use in company)

Thanks

Last edited:
That is somewhat strange that the device would change the channel. I know it is important for example when you have mulitple AP in your house that they use the channels you set. I actually though that was how all routers worked and it would only change if you have it set to auto. Before you explained I though you were trying to use the 5g channels that are subject to weather radar avoidance rules. One way to be sure it will only use channels 1-11 is to buy a USA product since channels 12 and 13 are not allowed. I know is illegal to use EU routers in the USA because of this but the reverse I am not sure about. You likely would have to pay international shipping to get it.

Used to be you could set the country but way too many people would set it to russia which has much less restirctions on what radio channels are allowed. The FCC and the EU equivalent force the radio manufactures to not allow you to change the device and it must be set at the factory.

kanewolf

Titan
Our problem is with one specific piece of client IoT device, where this device only accepts Channel no. ranged 1 - 11.
And when this TP-LINK Router automatically overrides the Channel no. that we've manually set it (eg: 1) to another no., for eg: 13, then it causes the Wifi connection of this client to drop, and the Wifi SSID cannot be detected at all by the client at all.
Can you set the country the router thinks it is in? Setting it to US will limit it to 1-11.

Aug 12, 2020
Can you set the country the router thinks it is in? Setting it to US will limit it to 1-11.

Hi,

I've searched through entire configuration pages, there isn't any where that allow me to set a 'Country' or 'Region' or something.

There is only the setting for Time zone. Previous setting was GMT +08:00 (As I am in South East Asia), now I've changed it to GMT +00:00, just to try my luck to see whether with this chanegd of Time zone, the router would still automatically apply the 'Channel Avoidance Mechanism'. Or if it still does, will it be 'smart' enough assign to assign Channel No. in range of 1 - 11 based on the selected time zone

Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020
That is somewhat strange that the device would change the channel. I know it is important for example when you have mulitple AP in your house that they use the channels you set. I actually though that was how all routers worked and it would only change if you have it set to auto. Before you explained I though you were trying to use the 5g channels that are subject to weather radar avoidance rules. One way to be sure it will only use channels 1-11 is to buy a USA product since channels 12 and 13 are not allowed. I know is illegal to use EU routers in the USA because of this but the reverse I am not sure about. You likely would have to pay international shipping to get it.

Used to be you could set the country but way too many people would set it to russia which has much less restirctions on what radio channels are allowed. The FCC and the EU equivalent force the radio manufactures to not allow you to change the device and it must be set at the factory.

Hi,

"One way to be sure it will only use channels 1-11 is to buy a USA product since channels 12 and 13 are not allowed. "

Are you able to recommend any specific models/brands? Thanks

The problem is the exact same part number for most vendors is sold in the USA and the EU but they are actually different. Since the power plug is different they somehow fix that too even though most equipment can run on either power.

Pretty much since the EU product is not legal to use in the USA large companies only sell the USA model in the USA. I know they direct ship all kinds of stuff directly from china. It technically not illegal to buy the product it is only illegal to use on certain channels. Customs does not seem to block all kinds of stuff from china.

You could buy from a company like bestbuy or another company that does not exist in the EU. Not sure if they ship internationally. Other wise go to alibaba and buy direclty form china and get a model for the usa.

I have not seen models you change the country/location on in many years.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS