[SOLVED] Recommendation for workstation GPU

Oct 16, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am an engineering student and I want to build any pc that can support AutoCAD, Inventor, Solidworks, MasterCAM and such 3d softwares.

I currently don not have a pc.

I have decided to get an:
--> i7-10700k (CPU)
--> Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB (SSD)
--> Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2016) (HDD)
--> Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x16GB (RAM)
--> MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS (Motherboard)

But I am not sure which GPU would best work for my pc.
The max I could spend on the GPU is $1500.

Please prefer something that can be used for a long period of time. So I don't have to upgrade my pc in 5 years or so.

Solution
As a student, I wouldn't recommend spending $1500 on a workstation graphics card. Maybe you will continue with 3D modeling, maybe not. Unless you have something that is paying you to do 3D modeling, I would get a midrange card and use the $$$ for a better monitor, or a digitizer pad or something to better balance your hardware.
Hi everyone,

I am an engineering student and I want to build any pc that can support AutoCAD, Inventor, Solidworks, MasterCAM and such 3d softwares.

I currently don not have a pc.

I have decided to get an:
--> i7-10700k (CPU)
--> Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB (SSD)
--> Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2016) (HDD)
--> Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x16GB (RAM)
--> MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS (Motherboard)

But I am not sure which GPU would best work for my pc.
The max I could spend on the GPU is $1500.

Please prefer something that can be used for a long period of time. So I don't have to upgrade my pc in 5 years or so.
well,for 1500$ you can get the RTX 3090 which is currently the worlds best gpu.Its made primarly for gaming but with 24GB of GDDR6 Vram it can do whatever you like.

Oct 16, 2020
While I was doing my research about GPU's for solidworks and such. Everyone were recommending Nvidia Quadro GPU's. Why is it that

And

I am living in Canada so if I search up the price for your recommended GPU it around $2100

Last edited:

ragnarok0274

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
Quadros are better for workstations, yes. Linus Tech Tips did a review on the 3090 and found that it wasn't very good as a workstation GPU, as Nvidia disabled some settings in its BIOs.
I would recommend a Quadro RTX 4000 or 5000. They can be found on eBay under your price range.
On Newegg the 4000 is ~$1000 US but the 5000 is ~$2000 US.

Reactions: Singh46 and Dj0gany

kanewolf

Titan
As a student, I wouldn't recommend spending $1500 on a workstation graphics card. Maybe you will continue with 3D modeling, maybe not. Unless you have something that is paying you to do 3D modeling, I would get a midrange card and use the $$$ for a better monitor, or a digitizer pad or something to better balance your hardware.

Reactions: Singh46
Solution
Oct 16, 2020
Thanks for the advice kanewolf. But I don't know any midrange GPU's that can support 3d modeling. Do you know some midrange GPU's that would be able to support ed softwares.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
Get a workstation card, like a the P2000 in my work computer. Its not a gamer card. I would suggest separating your play machine from your work machine personally, rather than overspend hoping to get it all together. Maybe use an old gamer set-up as the basis for a work machine if you want, but I would want workstation type management software controlling the card running your cad.