Question Recommendation needed for a quiet 3.5" internal HDD for desktop PC and a docking station/enclosure for old drive ?

progtech

Reputable
Jun 13, 2017
Recommendation needed for a quiet 3.5" internal Hard Drive for desktop PC and docking/enclosure for old drive.
Hard drives Uses: Modern gaming and retro gaming, large storage of gaming emulation and rom files, media files, all controlled from a gaming front-end.
  1. One of my internal drives, seagate barracuda 4TB, got bad sectors. I started to move out some files from it to other drive and some data is already lost. I was about to buy a new seagate barracuda 6TB 3.5" internal drive but the seller at the store suggested to read about NAS before i buy a new drive. I read a little about NAS but this seems like a very expensive solution. On the other hand, i read that the larger barracudas tend to fail more, i don't know how true it is, but after my 4TB failed i thought about a middle ground. Instead of buying a 6TB barracuda like originally intended i buy a little bit more expensive drive that will give me more peace of mind, maybe a little bit more warranty, a bit more resistance against vibrations, and will be at least as quiet as barracuda. What do you think about my idea? What Drives would you recommend me?
  2. What docking station/enclosure would you recommend for that old internal 3.5" drive, preferably with 2 bays/slots, that will accept all kinds of drives, not only 3.5", and will be relatively quiet?

Oct 30, 2021
Recommendation needed for a quiet 3.5" internal Hard Drive for desktop PC and docking/enclosure for old drive.
Hard drives Uses: Modern gaming and retro gaming, large storage of gaming emulation and rom files, media files, all controlled from a gaming front-end.
  1. One of my internal drives, seagate barracuda 4TB, got bad sectors. I started to move out some files from it to other drive and some data is already lost. I was about to buy a new seagate barracuda 6TB 3.5" internal drive but the seller at the store suggested to read about NAS before i buy a new drive. I read a little about NAS but this seems like a very expensive solution. On the other hand, i read that the larger barracudas tend to fail more, i don't know how true it is, but after my 4TB failed i thought about a middle ground. Instead of buying a 6TB barracuda like originally intended i buy a little bit more expensive drive that will give me more peace of mind, maybe a little bit more warranty, a bit more resistance against vibrations, and will be at least as quiet as barracuda. What do you think about my idea? What Drives would you recommend me?
  2. What docking station/enclosure would you recommend for that old internal 3.5" drive, preferably with 2 bays/slots, that will accept all kinds of drives, not only 3.5", and will be relatively quiet?
With docking stations , its a crap shoot . Go cheap and they have 2 things that may or may not be a good idea . alot have auto fan controls for temp so you caint control the speed in different environments. its baised on hd temps and not agressive enough personally, and the second issue is sleep mode it will randomly disconnect if it thinks the computer is no longer acessing the drive. Im working a das at the moment for a plex media server and im having to modify a 3rd party fan and controller to keep the hard drives cool. Its a decent device for retro games but its limited to usb 3. Its yhe terramaster D300 . 5 drive bays for up to16 tb a slot it stays on with no sleep mode but needs extra cooling .. cost me about 200$ on amazon.

Reactions: progtech

progtech

Reputable
Jun 13, 2017
What about Seagate Ironwolf and WD Red Plus in 6TB? I notice they cost a bit more but both have 3 years warranty (barraduca gives 2 years), resistance against vibrations (at least ironwolf). Which is more reliable and quiet? Also, which is more reliable and quiet compared to barracuda? Would they operate as internal drives (not as NAS drives) at least as good as barracuda?