[SOLVED] recommendation of cpu and mb for my need

kelmen

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
my current pc recently is hard to power up. i'm taking this as hint it's gonna die out soon either due to psu or mb

i'm starting looking for new build.

on pc i'm primary gaming, preferable on at least medium graphic detail. recently got GTX 1060 6G
i never overclocking hardware, even if the device has the feature. i run them on stock setup.
to me, overclocking = more heat, more power drain, more noise, shorter lifespan

my budget is on medium grade, above entry level, and definitely not interested buying latest expensive tech.

in short, my new build op for:
  • low-medium power drain
  • low-medium heat
  • can use for 2 - 3 years

i will start looking at cpu, then onto mb. will stick to existing GTX 1060 6G
looking for cpu recommendation

thanks in advance

Solution
Well, if you're not looking to break the bank, at the moment AMD is probably your best choice for a CPU. AMD can't compete with intel's highest end processors like the i9-9900k or the i7-9700k, but these are $420/$500 processors that are only needed if you have a very high end graphics card that would be bottlenecked by a lesser CPU. Some of AMDs processors have stock speeds that rival Intel's stock speeds, since you said you weren't looking to overclock. One more consideration is that you'll save some money on an aftermarket cooler. AMD has a decent stock cooler if you're not looking to overclock. Far better than intel's stock cooler (which isn't even included if you get an unlocked processor). You can get a Ryzen 5 for ~$150 that has...
Mar 16, 2019
Well, if you're not looking to break the bank, at the moment AMD is probably your best choice for a CPU. AMD can't compete with intel's highest end processors like the i9-9900k or the i7-9700k, but these are $420/$500 processors that are only needed if you have a very high end graphics card that would be bottlenecked by a lesser CPU. Some of AMDs processors have stock speeds that rival Intel's stock speeds, since you said you weren't looking to overclock. One more consideration is that you'll save some money on an aftermarket cooler. AMD has a decent stock cooler if you're not looking to overclock. Far better than intel's stock cooler (which isn't even included if you get an unlocked processor). You can get a Ryzen 5 for ~$150 that has 4 cores, 8 threads, and runs at 3.6 Ghz base. Also motherboards are cheaper for AMD. Intel is also experiencing a shortage jacking up their prices by anywhere from $25 to 50 in addition to their already higher prices. I don't what other parts you were looking for recommendations on

Reactions: kelmen
Solution