Question Recommendation on new system?

kneidels

Honorable
Dec 13, 2015
Hi there

I might be looking for a new PC very soon.
I am a big fan of Lenovo, and came across this package:

Lenovo Ideacentre Gaming 5-14IOB 90RE00B4YS - https://ksp.co.il/web/item/199414 (the site is in Hebrew, but scroll down a bit, you will see the spec table in English).
Currently on sale, 10% off, at the equivalent of $1350

I am a web developer, usually have a bunch of heavy apps open at the same time - along with quite a few browser tabs.

I'm not worried about the CPU being 11th Gen. saves a bit of cost and shouldn't make any difference.
32GB RAM might be overkill, but would rather have a little more than i need, for the long term.

My one concern is a small PSU - only 310W. is that an issue?
Also - i would love to have a 2 TB secondary drive... but none of the IdeaCenter / Legion boxes seem to come with that, other than a hugely expensive 1TB SSD + 2TB.

Any comments, concerns?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi there

Lenovo Ideacentre Gaming 5-14IOB 90RE00B4YS - https://ksp.co.il/web/item/207664 (the site is in Hebrew, but scroll down a bit, you will see the spec table in English).

I am a web developer, usually have a bunch of heavy apps open at the same time - along with quite a few browser tabs.

I'm not worried about the CPU being 11th Gen. saves a bit of cost and shouldn't make any difference.
32GB RAM might be overkill, but would rather have a little more than i need, for the long term.

Also - i would love to have a 2 TB secondary drive... but none of the IdeaCenter / Legion boxes seem to come with that, other than a hugely expensive 1TB SSD + 2TB.

Any comments, concerns?

Thanks!
Your link does not point to the pc your talking about.

Reactions: kneidels
Hi there

Lenovo Ideacentre Gaming 5-14IOB 90RE00B4YS - https://ksp.co.il/web/item/207664 (the site is in Hebrew, but scroll down a bit, you will see the spec table in English).

Any comments, concerns?

Thanks!
The psu will need to be swapped out with a better one but make sure first that the psu can be changed.

The supplied psu will be adequate to manage the installed components.
In the event that you might want to install a stronger gpu in the future, a psu upgrade will be needed.

Lenovo prices upgrades heavily.
If you are handy, you can buy a minimum amount of ram and upgrade it yourself for a savings. I have done this several times.

Same thing with Drives.
It is way cheaper to buy a minimum 500gb hdd and plan on cloning it to a larger ssd.
Similarly, you can install your own additional HDD or ssd later yourself if the pc permits.
These components use very little power .

To check for what upgrades are possible, visit the crucial web site upgrade app.
Enter your pc model number and you will get a list of compatible Crucial upgrades.

As a second check, look for a youtube video that shows the disassembly of the unit.
Here is one that I think would apply:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB__aPoYH9c

kneidels

Honorable
Dec 13, 2015
The supplied psu will be adequate to manage the installed components.
In the event that you might want to install a stronger gpu in the future, a psu upgrade will be needed.

Lenovo prices upgrades heavily.
If you are handy, you can buy a minimum amount of ram and upgrade it yourself for a savings. I have done this several times.

Same thing with Drives.
It is way cheaper to buy a minimum 500gb hdd and plan on cloning it to a larger ssd.
Similarly, you can install your own additional HDD or ssd later yourself if the pc permits.
These components use very little power .

To check for what upgrades are possible, visit the crucial web site upgrade app.
Enter your pc model number and you will get a list of compatible Crucial upgrades.

As a second check, look for a youtube video that shows the disassembly of the unit.
Here is one that I think would apply:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB__aPoYH9c
Thank you for the detailed reply - much appreciated.
Yes, i mostly know how to do the upgrades mysely, my only concern is voiding the gurantee by doing this myself within the 3 years, but i guess that's part of the cost calculation i should do. Right now my data is almost 1TB, i can try trim that down a bit, but would rather buy for the long run. Such a pity the store-included HDD is only 1TB

Reactions: Why_Me
Looking at the video, you have options.
Likely, the supplied configuration has a m.2 ssd on which windows is installed, and the HDD is for storage.
It would be a trivial matter to open up the case and replace a 1tb hdd with a 2tb drive.
A 2tb HDD will be about $50, or if you want performance, a 2tb 2.5" ssd will be about $150.

I would not worry about warranty.
Once past initial startup, you are unlikely to ever need to use it. If you do, just put back the original 1tb HDD.

kneidels

Honorable
Dec 13, 2015
It's your call if you think that will fit your needs for the next 3 years before you can upgrade it without voiding your warranty.

If that psu is half way decent it should work ok.

Perhaps look into external storage for more space.
Yup, thanks!

Looking at the video, you have options.
Likely, the supplied configuration has a m.2 ssd on which windows is installed, and the HDD is for storage.
It would be a trivial matter to open up the case and replace a 1tb hdd with a 2tb drive.
A 2tb HDD will be about $50, or if you want performance, a 2tb 2.5" ssd will be about $150.

I would not worry about warranty.
Once past initial startup, you are unlikely to ever need to use it. If you do, just put back the original 1tb HDD.
true. though often they have a warranty sticker, that if they see is torn, they know its been tampered with.

Yup, thanks!

true. though often they have a warranty sticker, that if they see is torn, they know its been tampered with.
We all have our opinions about this warranty stuff.
I have a prebuilt with a 2yr warranty.
I bought the cheap model.
I ran it for a couple of weeks to to be sure nothing turned up busted.
Then I went into speed it up mode.

Couple of parts... proper bios and drivers... cleaned out useless installed/running stuff.

Benchmarks said I went from 48% to 80/82% at that point I quit fussin with it.

andrew3d

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
What is the warranty worth? Does Lenovo have a good reputation for taking care of warranty work? Just wondering if it is worth preventing you from upgrading for three whole years.