Recommendation on purchasing a Cable Modem which doesn't overheat too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky6112

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
Howdy community!. I'm in the process of replacing the cable modem which was given by my ISP. The brand which I got is Askey (model TCG 220). The device overheats and it includes internal wifi which doesn't really work that fine. I've contacted my ISP and as long I relay them the MAC address they say I'm good to go.

Upon browsing for possible candidates I've found this little fellow on Amazon.

It's a Morotola MB7420. However upon reading the following comment https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1AFMEQQC11YCI/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_btm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01A1E6BA2#wasThisHelpful from a user who had already purchased, posted a thermal picture of the device and it seems that it gets up to 111F.

I'm a bit picky with these things since the place which is intended to house this device doesn't get much ventilation and it can be detrimental to the overall performance (needless to say due space concerns) in my location I don't have other place to put it so I'm asking openly to the community. Which brand or specific model should I purchase?

The only requirements I have is that is DOCSIS 3.0 compliant or 3.1.

It is very important that it does not include WiFi router or VOIP Telephone adapter.

I did some preliminary search on Amazon (but it doesn't count as an answer) hence I'm asking for opinions based on experience and probably owned similar or the same devices.

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Package/dp/B00YUU5628/ref=pd_day0_hl_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00YUU5628&pd_rd_r=546bdcd2-2471-11e9-8fda-23ec39d64fe3&pd_rd_w=tgfkJ&pd_rd_wg=0XUhh&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=WSH4YK4316YPYH6JRT18&psc=1&refRID=WSH4YK4316YPYH6JRT18

Arris SB6141

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-XFINITY-Comcast-Charter-CM700-1AZNAS/dp/B07976SNVB/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548841342&sr=8-3&keywords=cable+modem+netgear

Netgear CM700

https://www.amazon.com/MOTOROLA-Certified-Comcast-Spectrum-BrightHouse/dp/B01A1E6BA2/ref=pd_day0_hl_147_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01A1E6BA2&pd_rd_r=546bdcd2-2471-11e9-8fda-23ec39d64fe3&pd_rd_w=tgfkJ&pd_rd_wg=0XUhh&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=WSH4YK4316YPYH6JRT18&psc=1&refRID=WSH4YK4316YPYH6JRT18

Motorola MB7420 (although this model has been warned to peak to 111F).

Well these are the only ones which do meet my requirements, but I'm almost certain that there exists other options out there, so I hope to get as much feedback possible so I can take good decision for my purpose.

By the way my ISP doesn't rent me the device which I already have, instead charged me the cost at once in the bill and quite honestly doing the pros and cons doesn't really affect me much if to purchase a replacement since the quality and options given in the device I currently have doesn't justify my needs.

Please don't say just adding heatsinks or placing the unit in a well vented space or using usb fans. I am not looking for cheap shortcuts. I know this can work for some people but is not the answer which I'm looking for. Instead I want an answer based in my intention which is to purchase a new device.

Alright, I hope to have described my issue with much details as possible. Well guys hope you can help me with this one.

sparky6112

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018

I must mention that the whole point in my question was that my intention is to replace and buy a new cable modem not to install a fan in the exterior or the interior of the device. I don't mind the price. My only requirement is to know how much does it overheat based in own experience, word of mouth, comments in online stores, etc. I know the proposed solution can work for some people but is not what I was looking for. Sorry. Btw If I had a garage or a well open space to put it. I wouldn't be asking in the first place.

Again. My intention is to purchase a new cable modem not to bypass that requirement by only adding heatsinks to the chips and opening the device. I have the knowledge how to do it and I could certainly try it. But I'm not looking for a cheap shortcut, hence my question was pointed to know which options are good in terms of brands and models. I believe there are many users with different opinions based in their own experience with their current devices so this is the reason why I am asking. I don't mind if in the end I could downgrade from the model which I currently have (although I highly doubt it since the model is pretty cheap and low quality). I believe there are other options out there from the ones I found and described in my question. Anyways you proposed solution is not the option for me, sorry, but Is not what I was looking for neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.