Recommendation, Please

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I just purchased a ZT Systems desktop with an AMD Pentium II x4 955 (3.2 ghz) processor. The system has 8g ddr3 and a 1.5t 7200 rpm drive and AMD 760G/SB710 chipset. Unfortunately the system only has onboard video (ATI Radeon HD 3000) and a 300W power supply. I have 8 channel audio capability. I really don't want to change the power supply because of warranty concerns. Is there a graphics card you can suggest that would work with the limited power and which will give me reliable 1080P w/sound to my home TV? I have an available PCIe x16 slot available (as well as one PCIe x1). I have no problem adding a fan if necessary if that would help. I'm not a gamer but I'd like a display that would match the attributes of what I think is a pretty nice system. I have two HD monitors, also, w/ dvi input. I'd like to have HDMI, DVI and Dsub connectors. Please keep in mind that in the near future I plan to add a TV tuner card and use the computer as a media center. I also need some suggestions on the tuner card. I would like to use the computer as a DVR. I don't want to spend any more than necessary on these cards but I also don't want to skimp and be sorry later. Thanx for your suggestions. :pt1cable:

Solution

That would also be my concern. In a 2D mode it is probably fine, but anything that cranks this up to 3D will cause alot of heat. If you have good case airflow it will be fine.

The ATI 5450 is the replacement for this category of cards and is due out this Month I believe. If you look on Dell or HP's site it is already an option for few builds. I just read about this last night. So this is coming to retail VERY VERY soon. I'd hate to see you get an old model card, ie 4000 series.
The most you can probably get away with is a 5670 without replacing the power supply. There are 2 flavors, one that supports Eyefinitly(ATI's 3 display solution), and a non Eyefinity that swaps the Displayport output for a VGA output (supports 2 displays). Unless you plan to run 2 displays, I'd get this card. ITs hould run 2 displays quite well. The HDMI output would provide audio through it as well as the card has a built on audio codec.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102871&cm_re=5670-_-14-102-871-_-Product

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Thanx for the quick reply. I do plan to use two displays for computing(both widescreen HD with DVI and dsub input). Which version would you recommend for this as well as occasional output to my HD TV. I checked Eyefinity and see that you can use multiple displays. How are the extra output ports handled with only one vid card? I'm really not well versed in graphics cards (or computers for that fact). Thanx

The non Eyefinitly card has the outputs you required, so I would go with this one unless you will use 3 displays. The 3rd needs to be display port, which those displays are usually quite expensive unless you get an adapter. So really I'd get the one I suggested, there are other brands available as well.

To install you would just hook up both displays and in the Display Settings in Windows you would configure each monitor. The worst case is you would have to enable the second display in the Display Settings. If they are the same resolution you can create a group with the two monitors and create one LARGE desktop, or make the 2nd display an extended display which means it can have a different resolution, but it behaves a little different. The extended display would NOT have the tool bar at the bottom and they would be 2 totally independent displays. If you group them they would create one large display using a higher resolution and the toolbar would span both displays and they would act differently. You can test both out if you like.

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Thanx again, I currently use two monitors and evidently its an extended display. After using it I would prefer this setup especially since I use two different monitors. I use one for my mail program and the other for internet. I've been checking other adapters on Newegg (my favorite) and I favor MSI. What are your feelings about this company. Is it possible to use Eyefinity set up as three extended displays? I'm kind of confused about your explanation of a "display" port. Sorry. Also, are you aware of any card with the above capabilities with dual DVI and one HDMI. If I could find this combination I'd give up the Dsub.

Display Port is a new display interface it is an alternative to HDMI and has some advatages, but is usually on found on higher end displays. see Wiki on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_port

MSI is a good company. I usually prefer others, but have nothing negative to say about them at all.

You can setup displays through Eyefinity however you like. The eyefinity 5670 cards have a display port, DVI, and HDMI output. The next teir up is a 5750 (which you would need a new power supply for). These have (2) DVI, (1) HDMI, and (1) Display Port. HOWEVER, eyefinity REQUIRES that the 3rd display be displayport. You can use any combination you like, but you can not get 3 displays fromo (2) DVI and (1) HDMI output. It is a limitation of the hardware. However, you can use an adapter that converts a DP signal to DVI, but I am a little confused on this because there are conflicting documents. One document says you need an "ACTIVE" display port adapter, these run $100. Others say you can use a passive adapter if it is under a certain resolution, these are about $20-$30. You may have to look into this more.

If you can use an HDMI and DVI port, and do not need a VGA output, I would go with the eyefinity card if you think you may add a 3rd display. These cards are a little more than the non Eyefinity cards, but it's your call.

ATI Eyefinity page:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity.aspx

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Wow, this gets complicated. Is it possible to use all three ports on the cards with DVI, HDMI and DSub? Or, are you limited to two displays? If three are possible I'd use the Dsub on the monitor I use for mail(don't care about resolution there) and an HDMI to DVI adapter on another. In case you think I'm crazy I have four monitors on two computers presently. Three of them are high def. I really don't need a second monitor on my second computer. I really appreciate your time on this. Thanx

You have 3 outputs but are still limited to 2. They are just giving you options. I know it gets to be a pain.

WAIT! I just had an epiphany. Your have a 760G chipset, which means you have onboard ATI 3000 series graphics. You should be able to use the onboard as well as an expansion card at the same time. Throw a 3rd display on that and you are set. Actually if you have 2 outputs on your motherboard, I think you can run 2 displays anyways. If that is the case you can run 4, granted you would probably need to use VGA if you only have DVI and VGA onboard.

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I presume this would require too much power for my 300W supply. http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16814102865

I wouldn't mind spending the few extra bucks because I feel I would be covered for the next few years concerning updates.

I haven't received my computer yet and I can't call the mfgr without a serial number other wise I'd get some answers about changing the power supply and affect on warranty.

Your 300w PSU is quite weak, even the HD5670 may be pushing it a lil if it isn't a quality brand so no on the HD5750.
What is the native resolution of the monitor you will be gaming on? If it is high you really would be best off replacing the PSU as that card is going to struggle with gaming at 1680x1050 or higher.

Yeah you can't run a 5750. This card is an entry level gaming card, it would really be a waste unless you are gaming.

Changing the power supply shouldn't void the warranty unless they have a void sticker on it that breaks when you remove it. Just keep the old one in case you have to send it back or need warranty repairs on it.

Just to remind you that 5750 can not use (2) DVI and (1) HDMI at the same time, you can only use 2 of them + the display port.

No you don't have to disable onboard. If they are both ATI you shouldn't have any issues. Sometimes Nvidia doesn't play well with other adapters though, so in those cases you might have issues.

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
You're not going to believe this but I don't do any gaming. I have some nice monitors and want to take advantage of them. My two best are Dell Ultra something or other. The other is a cheapie but still has HD plus resolution.

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Glad you mentioned the ATI preference. Thanx. If thats the case I'll be fine. The onboard graphics provides one each of DSub, DVI and HDMI. Even if I can only use one of them thats terrific.

Oh, if you aren't going to be gaming then either of those cards are much more expensive than you need. You should try just the onboard video as AMDs are pretty good and should be pretty capable for all non-gaming purposes. Or a cheap discrete card like the HD4350 should do very well.

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I just called ZT Systems and they say changing the power supply will not void the warranty. Great. Under those circumstances I'll probably go with the 5670. I'll need some guidance on the wattage of the replacment psu. Thanx guys !!!

The HD5670 is a gaming card. You quite simply do not need it. Also the whole point of recommending it was that it was the best gaming card that would work with your current PSU. Keep your current PSU and and don't bother with a card. Your IGP is fine for non-gaming purposes and if you want to use three displays at once just get an HD4350 to go with it.

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Thanx. I guess the best thing to do is wait until I actually have the computer. (Expect it within a week). I'll see what works and what I will need. You guys have been very helpful. I'll be back when I get my hands on it. Thanx again.

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

Thanx for your time and recommendations. I'll probably be back here when I get the box. You've given me a good education.

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

Thanx for your help.

If this is the case, you should be able to run the 2 displays from these outputs, DVI and HDMI. I do not believe the 3000 series delivers audio through HDMI though.

You would most likely be fine on a 5670 with your current PSU, no need to swap it out. THe 5670 is not really a gaming card, although you CAN run some games on it. I would consider it more of a higher end desktop card or HTPC card. Which in my opinion would be a nice card in his case if the onboard is not sufficient.

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
When the computer comes I'll try a couple of configurations. If I'm not satisfied or if I can't do what I want I'll get the 5670. This way I'll be prepared for whatever comes down the road in the next year or two. I really want to eventually use this computer as a DVR also. Thanx, again.

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

That would also be my concern. In a 2D mode it is probably fine, but anything that cranks this up to 3D will cause alot of heat. If you have good case airflow it will be fine.

The ATI 5450 is the replacement for this category of cards and is due out this Month I believe. If you look on Dell or HP's site it is already an option for few builds. I just read about this last night. So this is coming to retail VERY VERY soon. I'd hate to see you get an old model card, ie 4000 series.

Solution