Question Recommendations & Advices for this i7-4790k 4.00GHz CPU?!

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
-Hello. To not keep this long imma just gather the whole topic in one. All this started when i was trying to change my gpu 1-2 years ago, we've all been in that situation when we dont know things perfectly but we still do it cuz we want to, well that was me, a reckless guy trying to buy a gpu to increase my fps ingame. Little did i know about the compatibility with the other parts, i thought that every pc part works individually and theyre not related to each other. So i was forced to change some other parts too in regard for it to work properly, like powersupply and motherboard.

All this little things caused and reflected to me in the most bad ways possible, i ended up with a +30% bottleneck which has kept me frustrated all this time. I had an i5-4440 3.10ghz, which i still have it, and proceeded to buy a gtx 1660 6gb. Like literally, the amount of things that the cpu limits on my pc its enormous and absurd at the same time. Cant even play games in low settings cuz ill end up with stuttering and 50-60fps due to the 100% usage of the cpu, meanwhile if i play on ultra-high settings, that causally gives me +100-200fps and no stuttering at all. Its the opposite of what every gamer wants. People decrease their settings for more fps, while here i am, playing on ultra settings just because i need to get that gpu usage above 20% at least.

I've been searching a while to change something again on my pc, but i always ended up with a "conclusion" of- if i do that, i might as well just buy a new pc, because to decrease the bottleneck, i had to change the cpu, but to change the cpu, i had to change the motherboard, as well as ram etc etc etc. Thats why ive been searching about the compatibility of what my motherboards supports more. Its a gigabyte h81m-s which is created in a way to only support 4th gen cpu's. Regarding this, the only cpu that works best for me right now, according my calculations its the i7-4790k, which is the best as far as my motherboard can handle.

Now what i want you guys to do, is give me a hand on this, or some warnings at least. The worst part is that most websites that im trying to buy this cpu from, dont ship to my country, but ive found a seller on aliexpress, which ive contacted and as far as ive seen theyre not like the type of "made in china" products are made. The price is considerable and looks perfect to me. The only thing that bothers me is the cooler, if i change the cpu, do i need to change the cooler too? And what do i need to know before purchasing it? What do i need to be more careful on? Ill leave here my pc specs and the link of the cpu that im trying to purchase.

PC Specs:
CPU: (currently) i5-4440 3.00ghz --- Trying to change it to i7-4790k 4.00GHz
GPU: GTX 1660 6gb
RAM: 16gb ddr3
Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S
PSU: Corsair CX550

CPU i7-4790k LINK: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32932592922.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.981f25ea8jUOvI&algo_pvid=fa9fbe50-5aad-499b-b8d8-2ab9aa5d5c8e&algo_exp_id=fa9fbe50-5aad-499b-b8d8-2ab9aa5d5c8e-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"66099711775"}&pdp_pi=-1;127.5;-1;-1@salePrice;USD;search-mainSearch

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Think nobody will advice you to upgrade that old platform especially with gaming in mind. For the same price of the 4790K you will have a i5 10400f. Think even the i3 - 12100 is a much better option.

If you can afford the upgrade to a different socket, which will mean new ram as well, do you have the budget for that?

A review that show how the 4790K stacks up these days not looking at the latest socket 1700 cpu's (12xxx),\

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9HV9V5nzOc

Keep i mind they test with a RTX 2080 TI so no or hardly any gpu bottleneck will be in place. The gtx 1660 you have wil show it's limitations with the higher end cpu's right now.

A review about the latest i3 12100f which has a nice price, will be compared to a 11400 for instance so you can make an educated guess what upgrade path is the best one,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBDFCoGhZ4g

motherboards of the 1700 socket (B660/H670, best choices for i3) are still relatively expensive though.

Look at that first review and see if it makes sense for you to upgrade to the 4790K in first place.

About the cpu cooler, do you use the stick cooler? In that case would i suggest to get soemthing better to miximize use of turbo for the 4790K. For about $25<->$30 are there already decent coolers available . Like this for instance,
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VT...-xt-basic-7616-cfm-cpu-cooler-se-224-xt-basic
or a blackened version,
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mnzFf7/id-cooling-se-224-xt-7616-cfm-cpu-cooler-se-224-xt-black

Haven't had the need to order from Alie-expres so don't know what that will give, look at return policy which might be the best thing to go by.

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
Think nobody will advice you to upgrade that old platform especially with gaming in mind. For the same price of the 4790K you will have a i5 10400f. Think even the i3 - 12100 is a much better option.

If you can afford the upgrade to a different socket, which will mean new ram as well, do you have the budget for that?

A review that show how the 4790K stacks up these days not looking at the latest socket 1700 cpu's (12xxx),\

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9HV9V5nzOc

Keep i mind they test with a RTX 2080 TI so no or hardly any gpu bottleneck will be in place. The gtx 1660 you have wil show it's limitations with the higher end cpu's right now.

A review about the latest i3 12100f which has a nice price, will be compared to a 11400 for instance so you can make an educated guess what upgrade path is the best one,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBDFCoGhZ4g

motherboards of the 1700 socket (B660/H670, best choices for i3) are still relatively expensive though.

Look at that first review and see if it makes sense for you to upgrade to the 4790K in first place.

About the cpu cooler, do you use the stick cooler? In that case would i suggest to get soemthing better to miximize use of turbo for the 4790K. For about $25<->$30 are there already decent coolers available . Like this for instance,
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VT...-xt-basic-7616-cfm-cpu-cooler-se-224-xt-basic
or a blackened version,
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mnzFf7/id-cooling-se-224-xt-7616-cfm-cpu-cooler-se-224-xt-black

Haven't had the need to order from Alie-expres so don't know what that will give, look at return policy which might be the best thing to go by.
First i need to thank you for taking your time and recommending all these things. I do really appreciate it. Now about the upgrade part, ive thought about changing the whole motherboard as well as the new parts that i need to buy in that case, but that'll cost like 200-300$ at least and its not something that im in need desperately. This whole frustration started like 1 year ago, as a reckless kid who wanted to increase the performance framerate ingame, i thought buying a new gpu will make me reach what i wanted to reach. But little did i know about the compatibility part, i was thinking that every pc part works individually. Now yes i know, we all learn from mistakes, but whats has been bothering me is that the cpu that i currently have is the worst combination with a gtx 1660, regarding bottleneck calculators and my "experience" is mostly absurd to think that the cpu usage is running 100% at every game i play while the gpu is sleeping on 5-15%. If you think about it, its actually the opposite of what gamers want, people decrease their video settings for more fps, i increase the video settings, its not the same. To my knowledge and as far as ive gathered informations about this, i think the i7-4790k will do just fine, its not a bad combination with the gtx 1660, and it will eliminate mostly +25 percentage of the bottleneck that i experienced with the i5-4440. One more reason is that im a competetive player, im not that kind of guy who wants to maximize their graphical settings, i mostly play on ultra low settings with a stretched resolution just to reach the peak performance, this conclusions has brought me here, i think the i7-4790k will do just fine for a period of time, and then i might just have to buy a new whole pc who knows, but for an extra 40-50fps, playing in low settings (which means you dont have to overload the cpu intensity) will give me what i really want and desire. Now please, feel free to reply to this message, cuz i wanna learn as much as possible regarding this whole topic.

++About the cooler part, with the lga 1155 socket, most people recommended me the "Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition" and the "Cooler Master Hyper H411R"- ill drop the links below.
+I think they will do just fine with the i7-4790k. Just a little dot of thermal paste, i dont have to overdo it. And this is all that i currently know about the situation, i will actually proceed and order the cpu and cooler today.

Here is the cpu link of the aliexpress website, which only that website ships to my country. Couldnt find any other site. Ive seen the reviews, most people are happy with it, the price is reconsiderable and as far as ive seen other details, i think it looks just great and will do the job.
- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...1;127.5;-1;-1@salePrice;USD;search-mainSearch

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
It's up to you, if you think the 4790K will do for your purposes is that fine with me.

The 212 Black Editio will do fine for the cpu. Don't expect miracles, ultra low temps, but your motherboard doesn't support overclocking anyway.

Hope the vrm's on the motherboard will do fine with the cpu. You'll only know when you have it.

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
It's up to you, if you think the 4790K will do for your purposes is that fine with me.

The 212 Black Editio will do fine for the cpu. Don't expect miracles, ultra low temps, but your motherboard doesn't support overclocking anyway.

Hope the vrm's on the motherboard will do fine with the cpu. You'll only know when you have it.
Thanks, ill give it a shot, anyway i just want it temporary, i think it will do just fine for these period of time and then ill buy a new pc despite it. The last thing that i wanted to know is that ive read a lot of "updating your bios if youre looking to change your cpu", now i dont know so much about it, but is it necessary to see if i can update it? Because some people have told me that the socket is fine and compatible, you dont even have to check it since the motherboard supports the cpu completly. Thanks again for the effort, have a great rest of the day.